Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nummykitchen

Is this really Candyland??

nummykitchen
9 years ago

I bought this rose as Candyland last year from Heirloom. I planted it late and the first couple of blooms looked like this last year but I attributed it to a late start and a really hot summer. Here is my first bloom of the season and I'm not feeling the Candyland vibe. I do see some striping, very faint, and it fades to a pink color, but I would say it is more orange/salmon and yellow than anything.

{{gwi:299372}}

{{gwi:299373}}

Thanks,
Andrea

Comments (14)

• nummykitchen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Seil, your photo is what I was expecting mine to look like! I have some more buds forming so it will be a couple of weeks but I will post again when they bloom and we can try to figure this one out! :)

Andrea

• nummykitchen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay guys -- another year, another pondering on what this one is... here it it with a new bloom today...

Any ideas? It's been in the ground for a few years now... Is it just a weird Candyland? I can't find any other pictures of Candyland that look like this and I don't know what else it could be from Heirloom's stock.

Thanks for your input!

Andrea

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

That really doesn't look at all like Candyland, Andrea. Is it climbing for you?

• vasue VA
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Any fragrance? Reminds me of Lafter, which Heirloom used to carry. http://tinyurl.com/oklm55t

In this photo, you can see the faint striping. http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/roses/508/lafter

• Holly Kline
    8 years ago

I don't think that's a Candyland. Mine only bloomed once the first year and three times the second, but they did have the characteristic blooms. This year it took off like gangbusters and I got about 40 blooms all at once.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago

I agree not Candyland, but I sure like it. Hope you find out what it is so that I can get one. Beautiful

• nummykitchen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Seil, no this one isn't climbing at all. It is short and squatty.

Vasue, maybe Lafter is it? I am not familiar with that rose at all. Anyone here own Lafter and want to chime in? That is a good suggestion! I sniffed it for the first time today (because I almost have to lay on the ground to get my nose to it LOL!) and I would say slight or mild fragrance.

Holly, wow yours is beautiful! That is just what I wanted when I ordered Candyland. Guess I will have to get another.

Thanks, Patty! :) Hopefully we can all figure this mystery rose out together!

Here is a picture I took this morning, it is sunlight sensitive (what is the word in the rose world, phototrophic?) and the petals have darkened up considerably. This is the same bloom I posted earlier.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

Wonder what your neighbors thought seeing you laying on the ground sniffing a flower...lol...(Made me chuckle...)

But anyhow I like the color of the bloom the way it was and how it went to a darker color... Hope you figure it out...

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

Well, it's definitely not CANDY LAND. Does it grow like a climber? If so, I'd guess it's JACOB'S ROBE .

• nummykitchen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well it hasn't tried to climb BUT those photos on HMF look spot on for this rose. Especially a few I'm seeing with the faint stripes. Does anyone know if Heirloom used to sell Jacob's Robe?

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago

I'll guess it's a sport that wasn't meant to be mailed out. Pretty Lady with the lighter coloring of Candy Land. Since I can't find anything like it and that would be exciting. All kidding a side it does look like Jacobs Robe.

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

I'd call them and see if they used to carry JACOB'S ROBE. With the slight striping on the edges, I'd bet that's got to be it. I just got it from Northland Rosarium, so maybe at some point I will be able to compare it for you. It's still pretty tiny tho. Might be awhile before I get any bloom on it.

• nummykitchen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I sent them an e-mail. I'll let you guys know what I hear back. :)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm