Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juleecat_gw

Is this poison ivy in my roses?

juleecat
9 years ago

Searching the internet for pix to help ID this....it is growing at the base of several of my roses. Poison ivy? Thank you!

Comments (21)

• aseedisapromise
    9 years ago

I think these look like maple tree or boxelder seedlings. Do you have maple trees?

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Leaves of three , let it be. So, no.

• buford
    9 years ago

PI has hairy stems that they use to climb up trees and other structures.

• juleecat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes-there is a maple tree nearby! The descriptions I have read of poison ivy state the middle leaf is symmetrical and the outer leaves look like mittens, which applies to these...they aren't vining or climbing up the plants. Is there a more appropriate forum that I should post this inquiry? Thank you!

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Looks like Poison ivy to me, but I've been wrong before. Go to Google Images and search on Poison ivy. Then compare the two, sure looks the same to me.

If you brush up against it while out in the garden take the time to rub some dry dirt over the area. It will help soak up the oil that gets on your skin.

Toolbelt

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago

THAT IS POISON IVY!!!

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Definitely poison ivy. (Though not all PI has "mittens.")

• juleecat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks...i thought so. We suited up and pulled it last year, and neither of us had any rash when were done-hubby is very allergic to this stuff-so made us think maybe it was something else! Ahhh....off to wage weed war...

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Your best bet would be to hit it with a spray of vine killer. Otherwise it will keep coming back.

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    9 years ago

Poison Ivy varies widely in leaflet serration and pubescence. I've seen glossy and matte leaved specimens as well.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Wouldn't poison ivy be turning red by this time in zone 5 Ohio?

Seems likely -- but's been at least a zillion years since I lived in z5 Ohio, and I don't remember.

However, this thread was started back in June, and it's only the last two posts which were posted in October....

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Not poison ivy, I have those in my rose garden, and I have a maple tree too, those are baby maple trees. :-) Pull them out, no big deal.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

I agree with maple. I also agree that Poison Ivy has many disguises. PI in my experience has long suckering roots. Put on gloves and give it a yank. Get some disposable gloves that you can carefully remove and discard. If it's a maple seedling it will come right out and will not have a long or deep root. In any case, if you do have any suspicion that it is PI, don't spray but use a brush to paint the weed killer on the leaves. Don't use ordinary Round Up, use a chemical labeled for poison ivy.

This post was edited by ratdogheads on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 21:07

• henry_kuska
    9 years ago

The following was stated: "if you do have any suspicion that it is PI, don't spray but use a brush to paint the weed killer on the leaves. Don't use ordinary Round Up, use a chemical labeled for poison ivy."

H.Kuska comment: Before you use any chemical check to see if it will leave the roots and then be absorbed by the roots of nearby plants (Round-Up does do this).

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

It sure looks like poison ivy to me. Not all PI has hairy stems, only the older stems, and those look quite young. I have not experienced Round-up traveling from one plant to another, and I use it quite a bit on poison ivy since I am quite allergic to PI. I am careful to paint it on leaves rather than spray it to avoid drift if I am working close to plants I care about.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

I have a Box-elder Maple (Acer negundo) and the seedlings look very much like PI. I think this is PI. PI also will not vine if it doesn't have anything to latch onto.

I just pull mine out by the roots bare-handed as I am not allergic to it. It doesn't come back if pulled out by the roots.

Linda

• subk3
    9 years ago

Poison ivy leaves come off the main stem in an alternating pattern while the box-elder maple's leaves will come off the stem directly opposite of each other.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

I have many types of maple and many maple seedlings. What Juleecat has posted does not look like a maple. I believe it to be poison ivy. Over the last few years this version of PI has sprouted throughout my garden.

I have a few itchy red welts on my arms and legs to support my theory.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

It looks like some weed tree I have in my yard in the land of poison ivy here, but I always have my local PI to compare it to, lol. My PI isn't as serrated. It's definitely not hairy here when young.

The PI has brighter colors this time of year, too, so it's easier to tell apart now.

I wasn't allergic my whole life, but one day of pulling it up by its roots changed all that! Be careful that all y'all don't give yourselves the allergy like I did :) I got a hideous case from that day, too, so it was miserable.

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Sure looks like poison ivy as I know it. I see it often, and if it's near a plant I want to keep, I just put a few drops of round-up on the leaves. I had to get medical help once after pulling up roots I did not recognize. I also had a colleague who spent 3 days in intensive care before they got it under control. I does not always vine, and it looks different depending on the time of year, I mostly find it on the ground hiding under other plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: CDC Poison Ivy