Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dieback on grafted canes...what is up with that

Posted by poorbutroserich Nashville (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 22:12

Hello. I've been so busy in the garden. Getting this thing going is a real chore but very rewarding.
I've been looking at my grafted roses...those from last year and those from this year on Huey. There is a lot of browning on the canes and dieback. Serious borer action too.
The roses I ordered on multiflora and fortuniana don't have those issues...the graft seems so much "prettier"? It is really not noticeable at all.
I think perhaps I didn't plant them deep enough? The graft is just above the ground.
Lots of browning.
The multiflora grafteds seem much more vigorous (perhaps they are just more vigorous roses?).
Any advice appreciated.
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dieback on grafted canes...what is up with that

The thicker HT canes may be more attractive targets for borers.

Did you prune away all the damage in the Spring--back to white, undamaged centers? Alternately, I'll wait until late Spring and prune back to the really vigorous growth--the rose will tell you what canes are best to keep if you pay attention. Sealing the canes with white glue will keep out the borers. I use a thick non-drip variety for molding.

Fortuniana is known to be winter tender--so the fact that it does well suggests that the exposed grafts may not be an issue.

This post was edited by zack_lau on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 15:09

o

As Zack says, it sounds like you didn't prune enough to get rid of winter damaged canes.

Exposed grafts will be an issue if the temperature drops to around zero, which it will in Nashville sooner or later. Plant future roses with the graft just underground. With long-shanked fortuniana grafts, plant the rose slanting at a 30-degree angle to the grade so you don't have to bury the rootstock roots a foot deeper than they want to be. Cut off any roots that would project above the surface because of the angled planting.

o

Awesome! Thank you gentlemen. This was my first Spring pruning and I pruned too soon I believe. Thanks for the fort planning instructions too.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here