Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about former posters moved to Conversations

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 22:19

We ought to use Conversations again. The moderators no doubt moved the post about former active members to the Conversations. I had a hard time finding it, but that is where it is.

More than likely this post should also move to Conversations, but it is also about roses. This past year was very hard on my roses, and the drought plus the freezes made almost all of my roses grow from the ground. Soon I must go around and start cutting the black "stakes", but then the rose will have nothing for support.

I need basal shoots that are strong and healthy. What do you do if anything to cause the brand new shoots? Fertilizer, fish emulsion are two things I am thinking of. Of course plenty of water will do it too.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about former posters moved to Conversations

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 23:43

Remove 1 or 2 of the oldest canes right down to the base. At least in my garden, the rose then tends to replace them with new ones.

o

Alfalfa pellets (from farmers' co-ops are supposed to help promote basal growth. I do it every year - but this year - with all the cold and cold rain - mine don't have ANY new basal growth.

Good luck!
Carol

o

How much summer rain do you receive (in an average year, if there is such a thing...)? My roses have not had a single basal break this year and I'm definitely concerned but we don't get much summer rain and if I put down alfalfa now, the basals won't come until Sept/Oct which is kinda late to harden off before winter. I'm just going to water, water, water.

o

Cecily's comment is really important for those of us with real cane-killing winters.

I've looked at pictures of my roses in 2013 and I've seen them this year, and the intervening winter did a real job on them. This year, grow/regrow the roots. Next year, the roots will grow the canes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here