Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
april_pnw

how far back can I prune?

april_pnw
10 years ago

My Mme. Gregoire Staechelin climbing rose has become a hanging rose due to no pruning last year. She is about 15 years old and blooms in June only. I have wires running across the end of the house up to as far as the shingles (ten feet). I would really like to prune her back and get some growth coming from the older main stems which are pretty bare. Is this possible or must I just trim back to the main horizontal stems? I would appreciate some advice on this.

Comments (11)

• mikeber
    10 years ago

You can prune laterals (limbs) as much as needed. Try not to cut back the main canes, although you can shorten them a little if necessary.

• april_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay! Thank you for taking the time to respond!

• susan4952
    10 years ago

This is beautiful.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Have a look at the main canes while you are at it.

If they are pretty grey and woody you might take out the very oldest one in the poorest condition in hopes of getting a new main basal cane to grow. Long term you need to think about renewing the main canes periodically.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

All of the above advice is excellent. Go for it!

I am a little confused re why she only blooms in June - HMF says MGS is a hybrid tea, so I would think she is capable of blooming more.

Pruning her a lot may cause her to grow and possibly bloom more - I would feed her well as well. I have several climbing roses on my house (three of which were up to the three story high roof). We had the house painted, and so I had to cut all of them down to about 6 feet high. We wrapped them in burlap, and my DH threatened the painters and other contractors with death if they hurt them. The painting, and other repairs to the house went on for 5 weeks, and I was hoping my roses would survive. Within 4 weeks they had all put out new growth which burst through the burlap wrappings! After it was all over and we took off the burlap, they all grew amazingly, and within 2 years the largest ones had made it back up three stories to the level of our roof. They put out new basil canes, and some of the smaller ones which had sort of declined over they years were re-invigorated, and now are doing much better. I came to the conclusion that it had really revived all of them. Here is a picture of the banksia lutea 2 years after being cut down to 6 feet high:

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Mme. Gregoire Staechelin really is more or less a spring bloomer, Jackie. In my experience of her, that "scattered repeat" seems to be pretty rare.

April -- May I say -- that is drop-dead gorgeous . . .

Jeri

• april_pnw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here we are almost a year after I posted my question. Unfortunately I was diverted from all this by Life, and only now am seeing the suggestions others kindly offered. If you happen to read this, I would like to thank you. In this next year, I will definitely take this excellent advice and cut back the oldest thickest cane. Jacqueline, it is a good thing you have a tall house for your magnificent banksia lutea!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Hi April! I hope "life" hasn't been unkind to you. I have to say I think your Mme. Gregoire Staechelin is really gorgeous just the way she is! How is she doing this year? Any pictures?

• april_pnw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One thing I am not clear about is when best to remove that big old cane to rejuvenate this climbing rose that blooms only in June. My biggest concern is for the longer term health of the plant even if I have to sacrifice a lot of next year's blooms. Should I remove that cane after this year's flowering or wait until Feb/March? Thank you.

• april_pnw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I hope the photo shows up though it is embarrassing how Mme. Gregoire is merely a shadow of her former glorious self. So at least now I know that I need to cut out the largest old cane to stimulate new growth, just not sure when to do it.
    And thank you, Seil, life did a little swoop there, but I have many blessings. Guidance gratefully welcomed!
    I thought I'd be notified of responses, but perhaps they went into my junk folder. Will have to check.

• april_pnw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I hope the photo shows up though it is embarrassing how Mme. Gregoire is merely a shadow of her former glorious self. So at least now I know that I need to cut out the largest old cane to stimulate new growth, just not sure when to do it.
    And thank you, Seil, life did a little swoop there, but I have many blessings. Guidance gratefully welcomed!
    I thought I'd be notified of responses, but perhaps they went into my junk folder. Will have to check.

{{!gwi}}