Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpfl81

Finally whipped the thrips!

kpfl81
10 years ago

Back in the late winter, I posed about thrip control. I tried a heavy dose of merit drenches starting late winter/early spring. As soon as May hit, the thrips were back in full force. I took a chance and purchased Botanigard AKA Naturalis L. This stuff works! My thrip problem has gone to miniscule proportions.

Only problem is that I had to tweak my captan fungicide applications. Now the black spot has picked up. I'm checking on what I can use with the Botanigard (it's a fungus afterall) . I hesitantly did a sulfur dusting as a stop gap until I get a new fungicide timing & application plan.

I just want to give a huge thumbs up on Botanigard. It solved my thrip problem.

Comments (9)

• mori1
    10 years ago

Holy crap, this stuff is a $100 a bottle but the thrip is really, I mean really bad this year. I need to learn more about this stuff.

• kpfl81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got on Amazon and found it for about 79.00. Yes it's expensive, but you'll get a large volume that should last you for a couple of years. The shelf life might be an issue, but I'd definitely store it indoors.

It just made more sense than buying more orthene and smelling that awful smell (with just so so results). Botanigard has no odor. And for the first time in the last 5 years, I couldn't find a single live thrip on my blooms.

• buford
    10 years ago

I have it and have used it. I'm not sure if it worked for me, or I didn't use it properly. the directions say you can use with fungicide if there are 5 days between each type of spray. We had such a wet spring, I'm not sure if the roses that had problems were thrips or just balling.

How often did you use it? When did you start? I have mine in the fridge and hope it will be viable next year, but I'm not sure.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

This is good news, but bear in mind that the thrips population naturally varies greatly from one year to the next. I haven't noticed any damage this year, but as buford says, it's hard to tell when you have so much rain and balling.

• mori1
    10 years ago

I can see the thrip crawling all over the buds that's how bad it is. The blooms look like crap, I plan on spraying as soon as the temps go down.

kpfl81, I was going to ask where on Amazon but I saw there is a external site for $78. Found a store that carry its but an hour away and a toll road to boot.

This post was edited by mori1 on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 12:58

• arkroselady
    10 years ago

kpfl81, did you spray the entire rose or just mist the buds and flowers?

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Thrips also have a season and will eventually disappear on their own after that season is over. I had them horribly this time last year, it was very hot and dry, but don't see them this year, it's been very cool and wet, so weather conditions probably affect them too.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

Finally getting mine under control with the active ingredient in Orthene, spraying the tops every other day 3 times. The brand is Bonide, not Ortho.

• kpfl81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most of my buds hadn't opened, but I did spray it inside a couple -- didn't notice any negatives.

There is some information on bioworks website related to small volume applications which calls for about 1 tbsp/gallon. Plus they are very responsive to consumer calls/questions.

The thrips here have been virulent for about the last 4 years with no end in sight. I'm convinced the bastards have decided to make Maumelle, Arkansas their permanent HQ.

I did the Orthene treatments. And yes Orthene will kill them, but my residual results have been far superior with BontaniGard. With Orthene, I only felt like it was effective for 24 hours. Plus the Orthene just smells so awful. Botanigard is odorless. If you have roses that are blooming, the last thing you should want is the sour death stench of Orthene (or the additive mercaptan which supposedly makes it smell so bad). I'm not saying this product is for everyone, but for me it's a dream come true. The image of lifeless thrips in a bloom is beautiful!

The fungicide timing is tricky, but with a little scheduling it's not bad. Bioworks has a list on their website of compatible fungicides and the time intervals for application. I'm thinking of going with Cleary's 3336 and alternate with Mancozeb or Banner Max (is it best to mix in a contact fungicide every couple of weeks or alternate between 2 systemics?)