Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Floribunda

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 22:29

Hi everyone. Last year I planted a floribunda called " Brothers Grimm Fairytale" ~ It's beautiful and full of roses but I'm finding the branches are so long that they collapse (like a hydrangea) I'm wondering if the branches are strong enough to hold the roses up? What can I do please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Floribunda

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 11:41

You could put a support of some kind and tie the canes to it to hold them upright. Maybe a peony hoop would help but that might be harder to get on it. If they're new young canes they should get stiffer with age and that will help.

o

Welcome to the Fairy Tale Roses. I have Caramella, and it does the same thing. I have it 'pegged' meaning I've bent the canes downward and tied the tips to lower canes. This also gives you more flowers, like a climber.

o

These should have been classed as shrub roses rather than floribundas.

You can stake the canes up until the blooms fade, then cut them back so they can support themselves and some new growth, or else "self-peg" as buford suggests. If the plant is growing strongly, I would prefer pruning, as self-pegging produces an artificial shape, "origami roses," as a person here put it. However, pegging conserves all the leaves and stems, allowing the plant to grow faster.

Repeated pruning for a few years will produce a well-branched, bushy plant that will behave better.

o

Okay, this is awesome. You folks are so helpful. Thank you. Since I'm fairly new to rose growing, I think I'll put a couple of stakes in where the branches have drooped to the ground. Tie them to the stakes and when the roses are faded, I'll cut the branch back. I'm just not sure where to make a cut or how far back? Thanks again for helping me.

o

Cut back to where it can stand up by itself. Maybe halfway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here