Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
zone hardiness for Mint Julep?

Posted by michigoose Z5OH (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 22:34

Long story short: I live near Springhill Nursery and every spring at this time they clearance all their excess catalog plants for 99 center per.... I picked up a bare root rose "Mint Julep" and wondered if anyone can give me a zone hardiness...i.e. not what the books say, but the farthest north you've had success with. I looked, and it seems like this one might be a warmer liking one, although some people online had planted it (with no comment on winterhardiness) in zone 5.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zone hardiness for Mint Julep?

No one has mint julep????

o

Michigoose,

I'm sorry to inform you that 'Mint Julep' is kind of a connoisseur's rose -- ie, a rose for folks who don't mind lavishing extraordinary amounts of care and constant frustration for very little return, reward, satisfaction . . .

Perhaps it's their gardeners who do the lavishing, I don't know . . .

o

It survives winter for me, but just barely. I only get a few blooms each year, but the color is pretty cool. Roses Unlimited also sells.

o

I have it here in California. That won't help you in "hardiness zones," but I can tell you that it's not worth coddling. UGLY rose. (Yes, there is such a thing.)

Kathy

o

Kathy, Kathy, Kathy, how wrong you can be at times! Just as is beauty, ugly is also in the eye of the beholder. I might have to not be your friend unless you take this back. Seriously, I think the blooms are cool, but I've seen pictures with a nasty gray tint that did indeed look UGLY.

o

Maybe we can get the powers that be to start an "ugliest rose" category in the next rose show. Not taking it back. It's blooming right now here, and I just went out and confirmed my opinion. Wish I could find my camera . . .

Grey and also spotted -- gets the rose award for most botrytis blight in my yard.

K

o

I grew it in central Fl. for several years. It didn't like the hot, humid summers but during the spring and fall I thought it was a nice rose. But I mess around in my garden all the time so I guess you can say all my roses get a little extra care. If you're not sure about it, put it in a 10 or 15 gal pot and give it a little extra care. You'll know by the end of next summer. Thank you for reminding me about this rose. Next spring I have got the perfect place here at my new home for a couple.

o

For those of you longing to coddle something -- you can get it here -- Cottage Farms Direct -- quite cheap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mint Julep for sale

o

K,

WOW!!! That's about the most color-enhanced photo I've ever beheld -- anywhere!!! Better even than some of Wayside Gardens' pics! Also, I have to complement you on standing your ground regarding Mint Julep . . . I'm another beholder whose eye tells me that Mint Julep is one very, very YOU-glee rose!!!

It's curious indeed that certain novelty roses persist in commerce: Roses like Mint Julep, Julia's Rose, Grey Pearl, Irish Creme, and (regardless of protests to the contrary) Sterling Silver -- whether any of them is grafted or (hopelessly) own-root.

Unless one gets-off on something approaching horticultural masochism, I can't imagine why perfectly good garden space is squandered on such dogs, or why good money is spent on them. Let's face it -- nobody grows them REALLY well in a garden setting.

The unwitting Michigoose can pride her/himself in having dropped only 99 cents at Spring Hill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here