Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
powdery mildew on my rose bush

Posted by juliejumpers pa (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 08 at 22:37

I just bought a rose bush and my friend says that it has powdery mildew. I read that if you mix 1 part milk and 9 parts water, and spray the rose leaves, it will go away.
I did it today. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: powdery mildew on my rose bush

There are several good recipes for powdery mildew here and on the web. There's a good one that I have used on Garden Web that you can find just by searching which is baking soda, dish soap and water.

I bought a couple of roses from Rite Aid around Mother's Day. They both had powdery mildew so when I got them home I star washing them with water, used the baking soda mixture referenced above, transplanted them into bigger pots with good sun and air circulation and the problem went away in short order.

Then again some roses are PM magnets. I might be chucking one of my new ones this year soon for that reason. But I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact recipe you need to try and fight it.

Hope this helps.

Kate

o
RE: powdery mildew on my rose bush

Hi Julie, lots of roses have powdery mildew in spring, it clears up when summer arrives (and I think it arrived this week!). The milk/water solution works well but you need to reapply after rain. Washing the foliage is good too, in the morning give your rose a bath with the garden hose to remove fungal spores then after it drip dries a bit treat it with the milk again. I wouldn't use the dish soap recipe now because the weather is too hot (I know folks who've burned the foliage with dish soap, you only need maybe a drop of soap and they add too much).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here