Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

Squirrel decimated my roses! :(

njmomma
9 years ago

I was wondering why my roses in my slightly raised bed looked awful until I looked out my window and saw a squirrel eating any leaves it could reach. I couldn't believe it! A squirrel? And the ones in the ground it doesn't touch even though they are the same rose - just the slightly raised bed - as if it's a salad bar! Well, I had to take the rose out and put it in a big pot to save it. It looks just awful but after only a week it's starting to put out new leaves.

Now, what can I do about this??? I really wanted some roses in that bed but for some weird reason the squirrel eats them there. It's not like I can get rid of the squirrels. :(

Comments (12)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I haven't tried this myself, so perhaps others can chime in. Maybe you could make a tea by steeping crushed hot red pepper flakes in boiling water, letting that cool down, adding a few drops of dish detergent, and spraying it on your roses. It probably won't do anything against bugs, but mammals in general will find the taste offensive. Perhaps you could try it on a few leaves of your most vigorous rose and watching it for a few days after to make sure it doesn't damage the rose (I don't think it would, but better safe than sorry).

:-)

~Christopher

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

I have magpies that always nest in our tree. I've seen them chase away squirrels. So if you ever see magpies building a nest near you - don't listen to all the negativity about magpies that encourages you to get rid of the nest. Welcome them instead.
    Sorry, that's not much help right now.
    :(

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Try moth balls?

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Hot pepper sauce may help but it's no guarantee. I've used it on my bulbs with some success but...nothing is foolproof.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Trap it? Use live traps?

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

The squirrels in my area are total thugs! Chili powder works somewhat but is very temporary. My DH got me a deer repellent powder for my birthday on the basis that it should work for most herbivores - haven't tried it yet. I've had squirrels completely uproot and make off with things!

My daughter drew this for me:
    {{gwi:299863}}

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

redwolfdoc, that drawing is absolutely wonderful! Outstanding creativity, and I love the purple face.

I'm just wondering, does your name refer to the very few red wolves still left in North Carolina (hope that's the right state)?

Ingrid

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Love the pic redwolfdoc! :-)

Years ago I bought an old car that was sitting in someones backyard for a long time. When I started driving it home I only got about 1 block from the sellers house when a squirrel jumped on to my right shoulder then I seen another one sitting on the passenger side headrest... Man I floored it and drove into a Uni Mart parking lot and jumped out...lol

Anyhow I hope you get your squirrel situation ironed out njmomma!
    Only thing I can think of is setting live traps like Summerseve suggested???...

This post was edited by jim1961 on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 13:19

• njmomma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

live traps? I use a big one for the occasional groundhog, but for squirrels? I would have to catch a 1,000. We have squirrels everywhere. They don't seem to bother the ones in the ground so I'll just refrain from planting roses in the raised bed. Those weird squirrels.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

Ingrid,

The name was first given to me by a friend as my eBay ID - it's because I did my doctoral research on the red wolf. You're right about them only existing as small population in North Carolina. Incidentally, it's a reintroduced population - they were declared extinct in the wild in 1980. Of course, that's if you ignore the possible large population in Ontario Canada currently listed as a grey wolf subspecies - but canine taxonomy is a big mushy mess so we probably shouldn't get into that! :)

All the ones in NC are in a protected wildlife refuge and originate from a captive breeding and reintroduction program that is ongoing. My research was mostly on the physiological side of breeding, though it was very broad in scope.

Cheers,
    Karen

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

And thanks for the compliments on the picture! I'll pass them on. My daughter is 7 and definitely an artiste! She doesn't always limit herself to pen and paper, but utilizes anything and everything around the house! I think I'll be keeping the squirrel picture for posterity. :)

• kentstar
    9 years ago

Maybe just a barrier around the rose like some cheap fencing wrapped around?