Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babera_gw

???'s about old fashioned rose bush

babera
9 years ago

HI peeps. I'm a gardener but not a rose gardener. A friend of mine gave me a bag of rooted rose stems a few years ago. I plopped them in the ground and they did well. When we moved 3 years ago, I dug them and brought them with me. They didn't like the mid July move but eventually recovered and are doing beautiful. I call them old fashioned rose bushes, I don't know the real name. They have the single pink pedals, small thorns all the way up the stems, it is very VERY fragrant is a 1 time bloomer.
I have a few questions. . .

1 Can I propagate the hips?

2 I want to keep it my desired size and height. I remember my dad telling me how to trim roses, (back to the 1st 5th leaf, I think) does that apply to this type of rose?

3 I tried an experiment of propagating by sticking a small cutting in the soil underneath the bush, covered it with a jar and praying for a new plant. If this works, how long does it usually take and when will I know if it did work?

Thanks to any comments,

Comments (16)

• predfern
    9 years ago

The David Austin Catalog (free on request) has a few pages on rose cultivation. For Old Garden Roses (OGRs) that are once bloomers, they recommend leaving them alone or pruning by no more than 1/3 and thin lightly. It is important to remember that once bloomers bloom on old wood so do not prune them until after they bloom!

Here is a link that might be useful: David Austin Pruning

• nikthegreek
    9 years ago

You can try propagating the hips but unless the rose is of a stable species type (very doubtful) and you have not had any cross pollination with another kind or rose, you will end up with something different from each seed that manages to sprout. Sounds exciting but in all probability none of the offsprings will be something to write home about.

Post a pic of your rose here and in the Antique rose forum to aid in identification and take it from there.
    Nik

• kingcobbtx7b
    9 years ago

As far as propagating, cuttings with rooting hormone are generally a lot more effective way to do it once you figure out how.

As for the trimming them back, it depends on the rose. Some old roses get huge and some roses-Teas for one don't respond so well to constant pruning.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

If you post pictures of your roses on here, preferably also the hips, leaves, prickles, and entire bush, someone will be able to figure out what kind they are, and that will help with the advice. Plus it is more fun!

Jackie

• babera
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's the entire rose bush (sorry so slow responding, I was camping).

• babera
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's the hips. . .

• babera
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the last flower. . .

• babera
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and lastly, the leaves. . .

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Well, it appears that you have a species rose (a "wild" rose). The thing is, there are many, many species roses, even in North America.

Can you tell us where the roses came from originally?

These guys are pretty tough cookies, and probably a real treasure.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I'm going to give a stab at identification....could that be 'Rosa arkansana'?

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: 'R. arkansana' at HelpMeFind

• babera
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Jerijen. . . I don't know where it came from. A friend of mine gave it to me from a friend of hers. The id isn't that important, just had a few questions about pruning/trimming and if there was a way to propagate it so I can have more. Really interested now that you say it's a treasure. . . :)

Can the hips be dried and planted? the small cutting I took before I started this post has already bit the dust. . .

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Most of North American species spread by suckering, so given time you will have more plants. Sometimes a lot more plants. Suckers were probably what you were given originally. It can be pruned to shape any time during the summer. A lot of us do the major pruning on once bloomers in early spring. It isn't something to really stress over because if you goof, the rose will get over it, and you can try again. It may take a year or two, but it will work out.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I'm thinking not Arkansana -- but for comparison, here is R. arkansana with stripes. (The thing can be speckled, too.)

I was thinking more like maybe R. woodsii?

Anyhow, here's R. arkansana "Peppermint" (Peppermint Candy," Kim?)

• pembroke
    9 years ago

Babera: I'm not sure you would want a jar over the slip this time of year. I just started a grandiflora from a slip and put in potting soil in a small pot. watered regularly for a couple of weeks and kept it in shade. Now it gets morning sun and still in shade in hottest part of day. Six weeks later the rose is showing new growth. hope this helps. Pembroke

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Jeri, thanks for offering up 'R. woodsii' as a possible ID. Looking at pics of both on HelpMeFind, I'm leaning more toward your suggestion now.

:-)

~Christopher

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

R. nutkana is another possibility.