Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
createdtocook

Is this Really an Eden Rose??? Or was it mismarked???

createdtocook
9 years ago

I am in love with the shape of Eden Rose blossoms. I love how all the petals are cupped together. Back in September I purchased my first Eden Rose and planted it. Here are pictures of it's first buds and blossoms. The blooms look just like all the pictures of Eden Roses I have seen in pictures.

I recently went out and purchased another Eden, but this time a white Eden. From my understanding, the two Edens should display the same form and shape in their flowers shouldn't they??? The way the petals curl back doesn't remind me of the large cabbage like, cupped shaped of an Eden one bit. Other pictures of White Edens I've seen online do not look like this. Should I just return this rose back to the store while I can?
Here are a few pictures of my regular "White Eden" and my regular Eden for comparison.

I would love to hear from all of you rose experts. The only rose I've ever grown before this is the Iceberg rose. But I recently added an Eden and a Balero Rose to my garden. I'm in love with the romantic cupped shape of those two roses.

I really need your expert advice on this one. Thank you.

Comments (32)

• createdtocook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of a fully open blossom from the same White Eden Plant.

• createdtocook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the Eden Rose I purchased back in September. It has the rounded cabbage shape that I adore. Is it just me or do the blossoms on the two Eden Rose plants look totally different?

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Those buds were probably formed during the last heat wave

The link below is to HelpMeFind White Eden photos

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF

• createdtocook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't know that a heat wave could impact the shape of the rose bud on an Eden Rose. That's so interesting. So you don't think the plant is just a dud and will continue to give me lots of roses that are "oddly" shaped? I use the word "oddly" to reference the petals that curl back, (rather than petals that are beautifully cupped), and the more elongated shape of the of the rose bud, (rather than the more rounded and bulbous shape or most Eden roses). Other than the "oddly" shaped blooms it's a very healthy looking plant. But I paid a good amount of money for the plant, so I really want to make sure it will give me the exact kind of flowers I'm looking for. Otherwise I would want to return it. Thanks again for all of your help and your helpful link.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Give it a few more blooms and see if it makes a difference.

Not sure what you paid. But a 5g at the local nursery staked Eden I think is $32. Last year they were $28. They do not charge more for Eden or David Austin's

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

From the first couple pictures, I would guess that it is unlikely that it is Eden. The last picture is, without a doubt, Eden.

Yes, weather conditions can certainly affect blooms at times, but in the 7-8 years I grew my Eden, I don't remember the blooms as a whole looking like the opening pictures. Maybe occasionally a new bloom wouldn't be fully developed, but the vast majority of Eden blooms are famous for their "fully packed" centers (lots and lots of petals packed in there) which can be rather dramatically bright pink around the edges in the center of the bloom.

But I suppose it is also possible that you have a "sport"--which by definition wouldn't look like the rest of the blooms.

It will be interesting to see how they bloom over time. Some roses don't bloom "true" in the early springtime. Maybe the later blooms will look more similar as the plants settle in place and mature.

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Oops--I missed that one of your Edens is a white Eden. Ignore the pink centers I referred to above. Other than that, I think the rest of my comments still apply.

Sorry for the mis-read!

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I think you need to give this rose some time. It's just planted and it's been hot there, right? Both of those things could cause the blooms to be different than normal, reduced petal count, change shape and/or color. See what the next bloom looks like before deciding it isn't WE.

• createdtocook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seil: I have actually not planted the White Eden yet. It is still in the 5 gallon nursery pot, but I've giving a deep watering regularly. While we did have a week or so of 90 degree weather, things have cooled down since about a month ago. But maybe the buds formed during those hot dry spells like many of you have mentioned. The blooms on it just looked so strikingly different from the "pink" Eden I had planted when the two plants were standing next to each other. I will continue to watch it to see how it progresses. Thank you all for you insight.

• lynnette
    9 years ago

Eden can look sad if conditions are not to it's liking or it is still a young plant and hasn't got enough vigour to put out good flowers. In my garden , Eden does take it's time to make the beautiful flowers it is noted for. Here is a pic of mine the first year and it was sitting in rich soil. The next year I got the very full blooms.

• createdtocook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lynnette: For being only a first year, that is a really pretty shaped bloom and buds. I know it's not as full and dense as it can potentially become, but still has such a lovely rounded shape.

Thank you for your personal growing insight on Edens. It is very helpful to hear from other growers. what area are you in?

I'm really hoping that the petals curling back and the longer more slender shape of the current blossoms was just due to the hot weather, and not a trait of this particular plant.

My Balero Rose, which is also still sitting in it's 5 gallon nursery bucket has not had the same petal curling issue as the White Eden. It's probably my very favorite new rose in the garden. I just wish it came in a climbing variety because the blooms are gorgeous and the fragrance is intoxicating.

Here's a picture of the Balero Rose I just got. It's doing so wonderfully, that I'm wishing I had bought one more.

• lynnette
    9 years ago

I am on Vancouver Island and Eden 88 was never a good rose for me so out she went of my garden. I read that Eden can be either a really good row or a very poor one. It has become hard to get in Canada so that should tell a gardener something. I wanted Bolero but alas, not available in Canada. Here is Eden the second year. Still not like the photos that inspired me to get it. It was really prone to BS.

• createdtocook
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is really good to know about Eden being a somewhat finicky rose depending on the area. That is another lovely picture. My mother-in-law and father-in-law visited Vancouver Island and showed my gorgeous pictures. Even though these are not good roses for your area, I'm sure there are so many stunning roses that you are able to grow that I can't. I'm really hoping the Eden and Balero will both do well for me. Does BS stand for Black Spot? I'm sorry, I'm really new to growing roses. The only rose I've ever grown before recent is the iceberg rose... which is an amazing rose for my area. It performs like none other. Here's a picture of it growing at my old house where it was grown in under a patio cover, so it didn't get the ideal amount of sun... yet it still bloomed almost year round for me.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

BS is blackspot, yes. It is not a debilitating disease in Southern California. In other climates especially east of the Rockies, it can be so devastating as to kill a rose, because the rose cannot hold any foliage, goes into a harsh winter weak, and doesn't survive the winter. Here it's a minor annoyance, mostly in rainy winters.

• Lauren Gormly
    7 years ago

Your Balero rose is beautiful. Does it go by another name cause I cannot find it for sale anywhere online! It is simply stunning!

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

She may have meant Bolero.

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    7 years ago

Lauren,

Bolero is listed on Roses Unlimited web site. Send them an email to see if it is currently available.

Can you believe me when I tell you I got a Bolero last fall on Amazon? I did. It is in my fruit cellar right now waiting for spring to go into the ground. I am pretty certain it was being sold by Stargazer Perennials. Contact them as well.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    7 years ago

Home Depot had Bolero last year as a bare root.

El Jardin your garden is beautiful!!

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Update: Thank you EVERYONE for all of you insight, words of wisdom and guidance.

So I just wanted to post an update... it’s now June 2020... and I decided to take your advice and be patient. I actually went out and purchased a second White Eden... that just tells you how much I love this rose.

It took three years for this rose to really be well-established and takeoff. But boy was that wait worth it.

After 3 years for the plant and the blooms to really take off... but all the blooms are true to the romantic shape of an Eden rose. All 3 of my Edens are thriving.

Also, my Bolero Rose is also doing beautifully and I also added a second Bolero to my garden.

Now I want to add the Pretty-in-Pink (Margaret Mae) Eden to my collection. Do you have any advice or insight on this new sport of Eden?

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

More photos of my white Eden rose...

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    3 years ago

Ann what a stunner! I also love your bolero, I have 2 from Northland rosarium and they are pretty much white. Where is yours from?

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Ceres Mer:

Thank you! I’m a bit obsessed about my Eden Roses. All the photos above are of my White Eden... you see... she’s not truly white... but shades of pink, soft greens, blush white, creamy white... She tends to become whiter as she opens and as the weather gets warmer.

I’ll post some pics of my Bolero below...

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Bolero Rose

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Here’s my the rose the started it all for me... Pierre De Ronsard “Eden Rose”... I had to cut her way back as I’ll be moving her to a new spot in the front yard because of upcoming renovations... so I was able to make some big arrangements with all of her blooms.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Eden Rose Arrangement...

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Eden Rose... I’m hoping and praying she’ll survive the big move and thrive in her new location.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Sorry... about the weird photo above... Houzz app is not cooperating with me... let’s try that again...

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

I got my Bolero from Rogers Garden in Corona Del Mar... I’ll see if I can find the tag and see where exactly they got it from.

I find cooler temps and shade will help them have more blush and pinks... so it could be your sunny location.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

Omg !!! Rarely do we get such a spectacular update. Your edens are phenomenal!!! I’m so glad you came back to show us , absolutely gorgeous!

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Thank you Lilyfinch!

This group has been so helpful... and I’ve learned so much about roses and plants thanks to all of the collective knowledge that everyone here has shared... and I figure it only works if we all contribute and share what we can.

I see you’re not too far from me. Do you happen to grow or know anyone who grows Pretty in Pink Eden or Parade Rose... or a climber that’s similar in shape and color?

I have a spot that would only get late afternoon sun... and I’m trying to figure out which climber would do best in that spot.

Also would you have any recommendations a for good repeat blooming rose with a romantic look that would look good planted in front of Eden and next to Bolero?

Some of the roses I’m considering are: Pretty Lady, Ascot, Leonardo De Vinci, Princess Anne, James L. Austin... I’m not even sure if they would all thrive in my area and location. They would get all day sun.

I LOVE peonies and have tried growing them with no success due to the fact we get no winter chill here by the coast. So I’m really drawn to roses that have a similar look to peonies... that round globe like, ruffly cabbage shape.

• Terbear
    2 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I love roses but for years turned away due to Japanese Beatles 🥲 I’m back at it , after seeing the Eden climbing rose planted it in June it’s doing good no blooms probably because 1st year, I purchased a trellis to grow a clematis with her, I have the sapphire blue low bush 2 feet in front of the Eden, but I would love to plant a taller clematis with her, I have the mixed blue and a Princess Kate that need to be planted! With one would look the best with my Eden??? Please if anyone would like to help me decide I’d love it!