Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenheat

Your Most Beautiful Rose Garden View

gardenheat
10 years ago

Which roses and other flowers/plants, or items have you paired, to create your most beautiful garden view... a special secret garden or a space with captivating fragrance?

Comments (37)

• susan4952
    10 years ago

My front door. Mostly roses but also Wisteria, petunias, clematis, hollyhock, alyssum, Bacopa, and many more

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Back entry to porch.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

And of course the spirea

• gardenheat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW! Very beautiful !!

• hartwood
    10 years ago

I guess the answer to this would depend on what time of year it is. As of full-bloom rose season, my best view was down the length of my Rambler Fence when the roses were gloriously filled with flowers at the end of May and beginning of June. Heat and storms have reduced the number of flowers as of this morning ... but American Pillar is still a beautiful pink beacon in the distance, climbing its cedar tree.

Photos in the blog post, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rambler Fence, American Pillar, and other stuff

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

In front of our screened in front porch. 2 Souv. de la Malmaison's, Crocus Rose, Carding Mill, Molineux, Gerber Dasy's. In early spring LOTS of Tulips.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Here is a view of our side garden from the sidewalk:

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Here is a view from the other end of the sidewalk in front of our house looking down the sidewalk.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Here is a view of our back patio:

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Last one - this is one of my very favorites - the old tea rose Anna Olivier and an ancient rhododendron growing under trees. Both were planted by my husband's Grandfather over 90 years ago.

Jackie

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

My favorite garden is a large raised oval bed edged with rocks we gathered from both the farm I grew up on and the farm we currently live on where my husband grew up (his siblings and some nieces and nephews have homes on the land, too). It's in the back corner of what we keep mowed as our "backyard" and filled with 30 roses only except for the occasional flowers that pop up voluntarily. It's not my most beautiful garden view, since it's surrounded by a metal garage/storage building, chain link fence area for when my dogs need to be contained, barbed wire pasture fence and then the pasture of tall weeds being grazed on by the horses and cows and an old white truck trailer we keep for barn overflow of livestock supplies in view. To me, though, itâÂÂs a thing of beauty in an unexpected place... with my Snoopy flag to remind me why it's there.

• gardenheat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jacqueline3... Your garden views are absolutely stunning!!! I wish that I could grow some of the plants you can here in this desert :(

This post was edited by gardenheat on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 19:01

• Airen21
    10 years ago

Wow, its perhaps one of the most amazing looking gardens ive seen on a residence! good job!

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

James Galway & Teasing Georgia along the railing of my back deck.

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

Oh Jacqueline!
    Your garden is my fairytale dream garden!

To have a 90 year old 'Anna Olivier' in ones garden planted by a relative, is such a marvelous heirloom.
    I love your style of gardening, with great swathes of leafy branches and garlands of roses among other types of plants, I think of it as the English overgrown style, and overgrown in the best sense.

Lux.

• DNTQuilter
    10 years ago

Thank you all for posting your pictures. Such lush gardens. And the snoopy flag is wonderful too!

Scott in PA.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Wisteria surrounded by several fragrant shrub roses and alchemist.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Porch surrounded by mannerly climbers.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

A smidge of sun allows Sunspite to live with Clematis and hydrangea. Early spring before filled in.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Well there are some amazing gardens here!!!!

Pat, I WANT your flag! It's adorable, lol!

• susan4952
    10 years ago

And the thing is...these flowers are probably ten times more beautiful in person.

• clax66
    10 years ago

Thank you for the beautiful eye candy:)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Here's my contribution....

{{gwi:300139}}
    Tea Rose Row

{{gwi:300140}}
    Front Garden - Spice on the right, Mutabilis in the back

{{gwi:300141}}
    A closer view

{{gwi:300143}}
    Near the driveway

Ingrid

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

It just bowls me over when I see those long-distance vistas backing up the rose gardens--breath-taking! Of course, here in flat-lands Kansas, it's hard to get any kind of "vista." LOL

My favorite views will have to be limited to my backyard. Here is one I like, but I have to keep saying I have no idea why that chair is sitting there in the middle of the picture.
    {{gwi:300145}}

Another view of my backyard, further back than the previous pic.
    {{gwi:259578}}

West side of house, front yard.
    {{gwi:300146}}

And here is a color combination I love--in the backyard:
    {{gwi:225393}}

I need to take more panoramic type views--but I am a bit hemmed in my neighbors, so panorama doesn't really work that well.

Kate

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Dubinbay, may i ask what variety is the beautiful pink rose on the right side of the second image you posted?

10 years ago

Dubinbay, may i ask what variety is the beautiful pink rose on the right side of the second image you posted?

10 years ago

Might I ask the variety of the beautiful pink rose in the right corner on the second image you posted?

Your garden is beautiful, vibrant, , alive! I live in an area where the sun will make many soft colors look white or just simply unappealing, so I am partial to the colors you have chosen as a matter of preference and necessity.

10 years ago

Kate, your garden is so beautiful and lush, and your roses look so healthy and happy. I love the birdbath ensemble in the front yard. It's very creative and just perfect. Can you please tell me what that beautiful pink rose is in the second picture on the right?

Ingrid

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

The lush cottage look in your first photo I love very much, Kate. I'd like to walk through the roses up to the "cottage" door, it beckons so strongly. The deep gold orange of the rose in the last photo is gorgeous. What is this rose? Thanks for the glimpse of your garden, Kate. Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I better answer desertgarden's question before she sets off another nervous round of questions! Her computer is behaving like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory! LOL

Desert and Ingrid--the bright pink rose on right side of second pic is (drum rolllllllllllll)--Earth Song. And that is after I moved her 3 times! I think she likes that spot--and everybody always notices her there and asks for her name. Good shrub, good disease-resistance.

nana, thanks for your comments on the cottage look. That's what I was trying for, but I'm not always sure everybody views it the same as I do. As to the "deep gold orange rose in the last photo"--that is my beloved Molineux, and in real life, those are apricot highlights, not orange. Actually it is 3 Molineux planted close together (18 inches apart, in a triangle) to look like one big full lush bush. Makes a stronger statement that way. Another good rose, with good disease-resistance.

Ingrid, glad you like the birdbath ensemble out in front of the house. My front yard is so heavily shaded with big maples (and their roots spread everywhere) that I can't grow much out in front. That birdbath spot is one of the few spots that gets enough sunlight (later in the day) that I can get by with growing those tough Home Run bushes out there. That pic was several years ago--the roses there are bigger and fuller now. Here is a pic from last year--just of the roses along the property line. Somehow I haven't gotten around to taking pics this year yet.

Home Run
    {{gwi:286502}}

Kate

10 years ago

Kate, I have Earth Song, which I got last fall, and it looks nothing like yours. I have a feeling it may not like hot, dry climates. The very few flowers I've had are not nearly as pretty as yours, and the bush isn't growing much at all. I'll have to give it some extra TLC and see if I can make it look more like yours, which is to die for. Molineux is magnificent. You have a lot to be proud of. The roses in the front have grown up very nicely.

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Ingrid & Kate - I love both of your pictures of your gardens, even though the climates and styles are so different.

Re the "cottage" garden look, here is one of an area which is destined to have a huge tea rose in it (now a baby - barely visible in the center foreground). Meanwhile, I let the volunteer flowers grow, to take up the space while I am waiting.

Jackie

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Ingrid, the garden you have created with its magnificent vistas and careful plant placement is gorgeous, and of a whole different kind that those grown in areas of plentiful rainfall and more moderate temps. Don't beat yourself up about it ( I think you must be a little bit of a perfectionist). Challenging climates are hard, but they have their positive aspects--lots of sunny days without stifling humidity and very little if no blackspot! Your garden is wonderful. Don't be down about it, even when awful winds cut things short (this happens here, too). Diane

10 years ago

Thank you Diane, for the lovely compliment. You're right, I am a bit of a perfectionist although my garden is far from perfect. This spring I unfortunately have had both mildew and blackspot, and for the first time Burgundy Iceberg, which always did so well here, has quite a bit of it. I think the lack of adequate winter rain is probably the reason. The first picture is from earlier this spring, and now there are almost no flowers in that whole area. In fact all the pictures are from earlier, right after we did have the last bit of rain. However, I do appreciate what I have, and especially the scenery, and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Ingrid

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Ingrid--I think a couple years of maturity under Earth Song's belt will help. I moved mine 3 times because it didn't seem so thrive where-ever I put it. It's last move was way out in back (where it presently is in the pic). I figured that if it wouldn't shape up and thrive, at least it wouldn't be so obvious back there. To my surprise, it started thriving back there and its intense color catches everybody's eye when it is in bloom. (I've had it about 6-7 years now.)

Kate

10 years ago

Thanks for the info, Kate. For an "easy" rose it seems a bit temperamental. I have it in what I would consider an ideal spot but I'm willing to move it or do whatever I have to if at the end I have a rose that looks like yours. I don't think mine will ever have that gorgeous lilac pink color since my soil is alkaline, alas.

Ingrid

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Susan, I wanted to mention how elegant your wisteria is (that's a plant not very many gardeners grow, at least around here), and the spirea is lovely, too.

Pat your roses are abundant and so lush and healthy looking. Your cute sign reminds us to focus on the beauty of roses and forget for a moment all the chores waiting to be done.

view1ny, your James Galway and Teasing Georgia make a luscious view.

Jackie, a look into your garden transports me me back to an earlier time--there has got to be a secret garden in those lush plantings, and I'd love to find it, at least in my imagination.

Diane