Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noacceptance772

How can I protect my roses?

noacceptance772
10 years ago

Hey guys! ^o^

So I have two large pots, one with a big KO rose (I never intended on buying it and hated it when I found out it was not the rose I wanted, but now I am in love with the little thing) and one with Eskimos and red kordana Minis.
All the plants look really happy and healthy but something is worrying me, it is that... EVERYTHING is out there to kill my poor little roses!
Aphids, Japanese beetles, Slugs, snails and pathogenic insects.
What is the BEST thing I can do?
(What is the best pesticide I can get?)
I want to keep these roses in top condition, as they were when I was raising them indoors.

I have already finished all my salt to keep the slugs out.
(and it is effective! Gotta get me some more salt!)
But now all I am worrying about are the other pests.
Yesterday morning, there was a Japanese beetle on one of my roses, I was mortified, so I quickly took it off and was intending on having it be the first insect I actually like , I ever kill, but my sister was begging me not to kill it so I just tore off its wings and threw it away.
Paul Zimmerman said that placing banana peel at the base of your rose helps keep aphids away.
Did any of you try this?

So yeah, I really love my roses and am getting a Gaujard HT very soon (maybe Wednesday) and want it to be in tip top condition too!

Thanks!
~Noacceptance772

Comments (5)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Where you located? Growing zone?

Salt? In the soil? Leaves? Salt will injury or kill roses.

Get a glass of soapy water and knock off Japanese beetles into it every so often.

Rose Slugs can be picked off or use insecticide soap on the top and bottom of the leaves.

Aphids- give them a blast from your hose to knock em off.
    I have no idea about the banana peel...
    Worth a try...

Bad insects love roses but also other types of plants.
    A lot of people vision perfect roses and rose leaves so insect damage becomes more noticeable....lol
    I do it myself...

This post was edited by jim1961 on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 8:58

• SoFL Rose z10
    10 years ago

Don't salt the soil it will kill your roses.
    Did you put salt around the pot? On the floor? I would keep salt far away from my plants. The rain can make it run off into your soil and you wont be able to grow things for years.
    Use an organic slug/snail repellant. Be sure its is pet safe if you have dogs or cats. Or any wildlife around for that matter. I had a huge snail problem when I moved into my house and I put a little of that stuff in the garden and haven't had any issues since.

You can try a systemic insecticide like Bayer. I know it says on the label not to use in containers but I have used the granular one for years in my containers with no problems. Just make sure not to over do it. Just use one capful per potted plant.
    The rose takes it in and insects wont want to eat them. Its not legal in the state of NY so just FYI. I would not add it to the soil (ground) if you have ponds or lakes near by. But in planters it may not be as harmful (at least I hope not). Bayer all in one rose care its a fertilizer and insect repellent in one. The liquid one is not good for pots so use the granular one.

• noacceptance772
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies!
    I think i forgot to elaborate, silly me.lol
    The pots are on a tub and I placed salt around the bases of the pots.
    The tubs are on a concrete floor and all the excess water (Rain, etc) go down a sewage drain.

Good idea, I might try bayer, but here, in Nottingham, we only have the spray type.

I have already finished all the salt and will plan on getting some organic slug killer.
    Don't worry, no pets here.
    Thou I should consider my neighbour's cat.
    I NEED perfect roses! I love my little babies and I don't want anything happening to them! :)
    Those slugs cause hefty lot of damage and it was evident from my poor little chrysanthemum.

Thanks for the replies and advice!

~Noacceptance772

• noacceptance772
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies!
    I think i forgot to elaborate, silly me.lol
    The pots are on a tub and I placed salt around the bases of the pots.
    The tubs are on a concrete floor and all the excess water (Rain, etc) go down a sewage drain.

Good idea, I might try bayer, but here, in Nottingham, we only have the spray type.

I have already finished all the salt and will plan on getting some organic slug killer.
    Don't worry, no pets here.
    Thou I should consider my neighbour's cat.
    I NEED perfect roses! I love my little babies and I don't want anything happening to them! :)
    Those slugs cause hefty lot of damage and it was evident from my poor little chrysanthemum.

Thanks for the replies and advice!

~Noacceptance772

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

My most favorite quote is by Jack Harkness in his book Roses published in 1978. I think what he wrote still holds true:

"Roses are food for insects and fungi, both of whom must be deeply grateful to mankind for planting so many larders for them. The chemical industry provides specifics to deal with them; and, as they are apt to improve their products one after the other, like bell ringers waiting for their turn on the rope, there is a strong chance that between my writing your your reading X will be withdrawn and Y will be sold instead. Learn to recognize the more important troubles you are likely to meet; and then obtain from your garden shop the appropriate specific. Apply it promptly because propagation in the world of insects and fungi occurs as fast as a brush fire."

I don't think it matters whether the "specific" used is considered organic or chemical. In Harkness's time, gardeners relied more on chemical solutions than many of us do today for many garden problems.

Smiles,
    Lyn