Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomas_carroll_gw

No Flowers

thomas_carroll
9 years ago

Anyway I have three rose bushes that have been pretty neglected the last couple of years. Haven't watered them or fed them. (And I wounded why they haven't bloomed flowers.) The only thing I have been doing is pruning them back to about 4 kanes in the fall that are about one foot in length . The plants are not dead. They have been growing leaves, but no rose blooms.

Well this year I made up my mind that I was going to get them to bloom. Here is the advice I received at a nursery. But I have questions on each item:

1. Feed them. The guy said Rosetone is the best. At least once a month. Is this correct or do they need more because of the neglect.
2. Sunlight. They need at least 4-5 hours of direct sunlight a day. I took off May 21,22,23 to work in my garden. I was starting early and noticed these roses are getting at least 4-5 hours of sunlight. But it is only in the morning. They go into shade at about 1:00PM. Obviously this will change as the summer progresses. Is this enough.
3. Watering. This is something I came up myself. I wasn't watering at all. The only water they were getting was though rain. How much water do they need. I'm out there everyday watering my other plants. So watering a few more isn't a problem. Do they need to get watered everyday.
4. Right now they have lots of green leaves, so I know that a lot of the branches are alive. But there are some branches that are dead. They look very dry and have no leaves. Is this a good time to prune them off. Or should I wait until fall.

If you can think of anything else, that would be great. But please at least answer these questions.

Comments (3)