Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

More in praise of 'Quietness'

Once again, my own root 'Quietness' is impressing me with its vigor, elegance, hardiness and resilience. The cold, cold winter left it with more die back than normal--about 50% die back whereas in a "normal" winter here there is usually none at all. After pruning out the dead wood and shaping up the bush a bit, 'Quietness' has not missed a beat and now you would never have guessed that it had any winter die back at all, having bounced back to a very full 4' x 4' almost overnight! It is now starting its first flush of blooms and, possibly because of the cool spring weather, the fragrance is much stronger and sweeter than normal. Every bloom is always perfect, I have never seen a blemish on any leaf in any season (I don't spray at all), it doesn't seem to attract many insect pests and I have never seen a modern rose with such a wonderful growth habit--always balanced and symmetrical and well-foliated from top to bottom. The silvery pink color of the swirling, quartered blooms is practically perfect in every way, and in very cool temperatures, it sometimes has the very faintest touch of salmon in the center of the blooms--never garish, always beckoning. If I could only grow one rose--not such an impossibility given that I am becoming pickier and pickier about which roses meet all of my requirements--I am certain it would be 'Quietness'. It is the only rose I have ever grown that garden visitors will point to, take photos of and ask 'What is THAT?!!!" It is a rose for a satisfying long-term relationship, not just a one night stand! :-)

This post was edited by ispahan on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 8:05

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County