Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose changed color at night.

Posted by nickjoseph 5 Miwaukee, WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 23:14

I don't remember what type of rose this was...thinking a Tropicana maybe. I normally keep the tags. I planted it about 5 years ago. Normally they would open a deep orange with vibrant yellow in them. Then as they faded out, they would turn to an almost light cantaloupe color. I don't know if the colder, weird Winter & Spring did this or what. The buds, when very tight looked bright orange & yellow. This afternoon, they were all open & a medium shade of pretty yellow (no orange at all). Then tonight, the color changed on all of them to a pale cantaloupe. Very strange.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose changed color at night.

It's been a tough winter and maybe it isn't really warm enough yet for your rose to bloom normally. Check and see what it does later in its bloom cycle or later in the season. I'll bet it returns to "normal" blooming.

Kate

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 14:43

There are a lot of roses that change color with the temperatures and amount of sunlight. Some of them can do so dramatically like Double Delight. Those are called "phototropic". Here are 4 photos of the same bloom on my Double Delight taken over one 24 hr period.

Double Delight 8-3-06 3:36pm photo 2006_08030001.jpg

Double Delight 8-3-06 8:43pm photo 2006_08030001az.jpg

Double Delight 8-5-06 1:27pm photo 2006_08060009a.jpg

Double Dellight 8-4-06 1:58pm photo 2006_08040020a.jpg

And yet another look for Double Delight
(excuse the greetings, lol!)

Double Delight photo 2011_06070078q.jpg

As you can see it has many faces.

A lot of people will tell you that their fall roses seem more vibrant in color because of the cooler temps. Many others will tell you how their roses can be pale images of their normal selves in the high heat of summer. There are MANY roses that will do this to some degree or another. It's perfectly normal and, for me anyway, is part of their charm!

o

Thanks Seil for posting those beautiful pictures. I wish I knew what rose mine is & that I had a camera to send pictures with. Unfortunately, the people who have iphones that could take some pictures I rarely see. Sigh..... Anyway, these particular roses always open with a myriad of colors, Yellow, medium orange & rimmed with a deep orange. As they open more, the get lighter, but never went from all yellow to all cantaloupe. Pretty though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here