Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh now I remember - that's what balling looks like

Posted by Nippstress 5-Nebraska (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 23:19

Hi folks

Actually I do know what balling looks like, but only since I grow Clothilde Soupert (below), that never does anything but ball even in my dry climate. I just think of her as an oddball perfectly round rose and it doesn't bug me much.

Clothilde Soupert June 2014 photo ClothildeSoupertJune2014.jpg

However, this year EVERYTHING is balling in the uncharacteristic rain we've been having. This is new to me, since we are usually in drought if anything, but I know many of you have balling routinely. It's virtually impossible to get nice photos of any of the roses these days because of the crispy brown edges, but I'll post a few of the worst offenders - usually the light colored roses.

Heritage is showing the brown edges clearly that every other rose has. It'll open up with the center OK, but those nasty edges at the fringe.

Ball Heritage June 2014 photo BallHeritageJune2014.jpg

Savoy Hotel illustrates what they all look like when they open.

Ball Savoy Hotel June 2014 photo Ball2SavoyHotelJune2014.jpg

A particularly gross Dixieland Linda

Ball Dixieland Linda June 2014 photo BallDixielandLindaJune2014.jpg

So far the uncharacteristic winner is Pretty Jessica. Many of my multipetal Austins have opened reasonably well, though the more the petals the worse the balling can be. Pretty Jessica takes the cake, though. Here's she's perfectly round, and I noticed this evening after dinner that she was a solid brown ball. I'll post a picture for contrast when I can get one.

Ball Pretty Jessica photo BallPrettyJessicaJune2014.jpg

Again, this isn't news to many of you in damp zones, but it may be helpful to other folks like me that don't usually see these conditions. It'll get better when the weather dries out and warms up a bit, but it's unpleasant in the rose world at present.

Cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh now I remember - that's what balling looks like

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 1:01

I hear you on the balling this year. Usually, the weather is warmer this time of year, but we're having a cool (and now rainy) Spring -- perfect balling conditions. I went out today and snipped off any buds or blooms that showed signs. Happily, the first round of flowers opened during a two-week dry spell, leaving even 'Clotilde Soupert' alone -- well, her first few, anyway.

:-/

~Christopher

o

What a shame!! I am with Christopher. If I get the chance to chop them before they open, I do, as I find their sad little brown heads too sad to bear.

I hope the next flush is glorious.

o

I have my usual balling suspects. But this year has been bad. Even my Mrs BR Cant is balling a lot. I am hoping it's because it has all new growth (the winter killed everything above ground) and the stems are too weak.

o

Here it can happen anytime in the growing season, so I discard the more susceptible varieties. Yellows and oranges tend to be resistant, whites and pale pinks the most easily spoiled. Two pale roses that are relatively resistant are 'Quietness' and 'Kronprinzessin Viktoria'.
We had no rain from May 15 to June 11, so my first flush opened clean.

Another name for what Cynthia illustrates is botrytis petal blight.

o

Just as the roses opened, the rains came. Its been raining all week. If they didn't ball......they shattered.

o

I figured we'd have lots of company across the country with balling (aka botrytis petal blight - thanks Michael). We finally had a dry week and the buds with fried edges have opened relatively cleanly after that week. I hadn't thought of the wet being a reason for the shattering, Harry, but you're entirely right - they've lasted maybe a day if that.

Unfortunately with all the rain and weak young canes from being pruned to the ground, all the longer canes are lying on the ground. I tried to move a few to upright but they snapped right off at the base, and I'm not risking those with only one or two canes. Too many times that has been the death of the rose, equivalent I guess to ripping off the rootstock at the base to kill it. I'm sort of hoping this will be a form of "pegging" so those canes lying on the ground sprout up laterals, but I've found most of my HTs and floris are reluctant to do this.

Ah well, I'll prune them back when they're done blooming and we'll move on from there.

Cynthia

o

Me toooooo. Ugh. At least they survived our winter. Well....most of them. Onwards to the next flush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here