Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngardener123

What kind of Oklahoma is white?

ngardener123
9 years ago

First time to grow rose, so I figure I'd better start from inexpensive rose. If I lose it, I won't feel too bad. I bought some bare root roses from Big Lots. Now comes the flower. The one labeled as angel face turned out a red single-layer-petal flower with no scent. I was so disappointed. The second one labeled as Oklahoma, but it looks like the picture. I compared the picture of Oklahoma rose from google, not even close. Big Lots rose is a lie, I won't buy any more. Please help me identify this rose. It cannot be fully opened, so it always looks like a big bud. It has a sweet scent. Thanks a lot!

Comments (20)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

It's definitely not Oklahoma!

Don't feel bad about getting mis-labeled roses. Often happens with Big Lots' roses. That is why many of us order from online rose specialty nurseries when we don't have access to a local one that we can rely on for an accurately labeled and well-grown rose.

Big Lots' roses tend to be popular ones--so let me guess that your white rose is Pope John Paul II. He tends to have fat fully packed buds. Good rose if that is what it is. But definitely not a beautiful red so smoky, mysterious, and dark that it almost looks black at times like Oklahoma. : )

I really like Oklahoma, in case you couldn't tell.

Kate

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Because Oklahoma is non patent and JP is, and because of the apparent green tinge to the outer petals and the base of the lower right petal in the photo, my guess would be it's likely John F. Kennedy. Kim

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Yes, what Kim said. JFK.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Many of us started out buying these really inexpensive roses from places like Big Lots. It's a good way to get your feet wet without spending a bundle. But once you get hooked you'll find that these roses just don't make the grade. They're poor quality, unhealthy and almost always mislabeled.

That first one sound suspiciously like Dr. Huey. That means that the grafted part, Angel Face, died and what's coming up now is just the root stock. Dr. Huey is a once blooming dark red, single petaled climber that can put on a pretty display in the spring but grows extremely vigorously and is also extremely disease prone. You can leave it if you like or get something else and replace it. In the mean time enjoy your JFK!

• buford
    9 years ago

Doesn't Dr. Huey have a strong fragrance?

• ngardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the information. Seil, you are absolutely right about the Dr. Huey. I checked the picture on line and that is it! It got black spots all over the leaves after a week I put it outdoor, and I had to throw it away. Thank God my other roses are not diseased so far. The white one I decided to keep because I like the sweet fragrance. Awesome, you guy!

• ngardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here comes the third flower. It's labeled as heirloom from Walmart. The color looks like the picture of heirloom, but the scent is nothing like ripe raspberries as described. It's more like a perfume, but this is the most beautiful one I have gotten so far. At lease make me feel better. I guess this is a heirloom, but maybe it's not. Any idea?

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

The Big Box stores consistently sell mislabeled plants.

I bought (3) Lilacs that turned out to be something other than what was labeled before I learned my lesson ...

You have to ask yourself ...

Would "Big Lots" CARE if their plants were mislabeled ???

Would WalMart CARE if their plants were mislabeled ???

Buy from places that would CARE if you got a mislabeled plant from them ...

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Not that I disagree with you aegis500, but everyone is different and begins their garden journey from a different place, in a different way, and that's okay. Everyone was a beginner once.

That one looks like 'Heirloom'. It will become more pale as the flower ages.

• DrPekeMom
    9 years ago

Your Heirloom is pretty! Honestly, I never believe marketers when they write up rose scents. Some growers really do know the difference between rose scents, others don't.

On your white one, it could be John F. Kennedy or Honor. Both are common in box store nurseries and both look very similar in bud to me. I grow them both.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

I wouldn't worry about fragrance on new roses, wait two or three years until it matures. Also, I don't think I have every smelled a rose with "ripe raspberry" scent, but it might come across that way once it has grown for a couple of years. Your mauve rose looks like Heirloom to me.

• ngardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another rose looks like mislabeled. It was labeled as fragrant cloud from Walmart. The flower is really red rather than orange. It has velvety red petals with moderate scent. Its bud is round shape. When it's fully opened, it shows the yellow stamens. Could anyone please help me to identify this rose? Thanks a lot.

• mgleason56
    9 years ago

Not sure where in 5a you are, and this is just my experience, but Oklahoma is extremely hard to get fully opened for me. Just seems to need more heat than I usually get in Michigan. That is just my experience. I also would bet that your white rose is JFK. Just a guess based on where you bought rose, but take a look at Mr. Lincoln for the red above.

• ngardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mgleason56, thank you for your information. I live in NE Ohio. Just a little warmer than Michigan. I had two white roses that neither one can be fully opened and I do remember it was cold when they bloomed. The heirloom got big flowers over 6" and it was much warmer when they blooms. It seems you are right.

This post was edited by NGardener123 on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 11:14

• ngardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally, I got a real Oklahoma. I am very happy! The size of bloom definitely related to heat. This flower had the same size of bud as my heirloom rose but the temperature fell just before it bloom. The flower appears smaller than heirloom and it took three days to get fully open.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Congrats! It's lovely!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Your last red is beautiful, but I wonder if it is Oklahoma. My Oklahoma is very dark red.

{{gwi:283995}}

What do you think?

Kate

• ngardener123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kate, your Oklahoma is gorgeous. I like that elegant dark red. My rose is dark red also, but not as dark as yours. The problem is my camera. It is old and it cannot record the true color of the rose. I tried many times, but the color always looks much brighter than it should be.

• DrPekeMom
    9 years ago

That rose labeled "Heirloom" looks right to me. I don't mean to be rude, but whoever writes the descriptions of rose smells makes as much sense to me as the people who write wine flavor descriptions. I never taste a "hint of chocolate with coffee undertones" in wine, and with rose smells, my nose can't get beyond basics like "smells pretty." (I can tell basic differences, but not by much.) So if your bud up there smells pretty, I'm guessing it's Heirloom. Enjoy! It's a great rose.

The white bud I think could also be Honor.

I started out with roses from the $5 sale bin at Orchard Supply Hardware. I don't buy from big box stores now because I'm worried about what they spray, and I'm trying to make a haven for bees and other insects in the middle of Los Angeles (I am succeeding wildly with aphids and Japanese beetles. Oh, and thrips!). But I still have those old $5 ones, and many of them are, simply, classics I treasure: Peace, Queen Elizabeth, Mr. Lincoln, Tiffany, Gemini, Blue Girl, Icebergs. Land prices are so high in Los Angeles, almost all the old nurseries which were here 10 years ago are, simply, gone, with older owners retiring and selling out the land the developer makes into something else.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Dr. Pekemom, if you're not familiar with it, hightail it out to Agoura on the 101 to Sperling Nursery. Marvelous place with some pretty great plants and service. Apparently the elderly owner passed and his adult children don't want the nursery. Per some long time employees, the place is up for sale. It's pretty much certain it will become another auto dealer. Definitely worth the visit! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Sperling Nursery

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz