Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bebba1

bud wilt

bebba1
9 years ago

lots of buds--particularly tiny ones--are suddenly wilting, turning black and drying up on my Clair Matin.

What's up? I sprayed them with pyrethrins this evening and will see tomorrow if that worked.

Comments (6)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Bebba, is your Clair Matin established or a young plant? Potted or in ground? Against an open fence or a solid, heat reflecting surface? Had you sprayed it with anything else or used any kind of systemic product on it recently? Had the plant been recently fertilized, and with what? How was the fertilizer (if any) applied? How frequently has it been watered and how (sprinklers, drip, hose..)? All of these could affect what you're describing, so knowing more about the plant and what has been done to/for it might help diagnose what the problem is. Thanks. Kim

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Sounds like rose midge, if that exists in your area. I would take some stems to the county agent.

• bebba1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Michael: I never hear anybody here in Marin County talk about rose midge, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be possible. Will check with county agent as you suggest. Thanks.

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

It's possible that you may be seeing damage by rose curculio weevils. I know of one rose gardener who has a problem with them in Santa Cruz.

Does the bud damage you are seeing look like the photo in the link below ?

Lyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Curculio Damage

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    9 years ago

Sounds like Bud blast.....common this year...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bud blast

• michaelg
    9 years ago

I never heard the term "bud blast" before for the disorder pictured in the link. Rose gardeners usually call it "balling" and attribute it to rain. As the article says, it is a botrytis fungal infection that spreads in cool weather with rain or fog. However, it does not cause wilted necks and blackened buds as described by the OP.

In the case of rose curculio, I would expect to find buds opening with many small holes in the petals, These are caused by the bug's needle-like proboscis piercing the bud while it is tightly furled. This pest is common in parts of California and occasional in my area. It can cause wilted necks as Lyn's link shows.

This post was edited by michaelg on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 9:35