Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best sources for one gallon own-root roses

Posted by Sara-Ann z6b OK (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 23:38

This is my second year of growing and planting own-root old garden roses. The varieties I have so far are Rose de Rescht, Mme. Isaac Pereire, Zephirine Drouhin and Reine des Violettes that I planted last year, they are all growing and doing well. This year I have planted Kathleen Harrop, Marchesa Boccella, and Mrs. Ernest Calvat. I ordered these a little later than I normally order roses, because I got so excited about how well the other ones are doing. These newly planted ones are looking good also. Just like last year, I don't expect many blooms until next year. I am getting to be very fond of these older roses and would like to know which companies ship the gallon size plants. These all came from Roses Unlimited, Do Chamblees and Antique Rose Emporium ship the one gallon size? I've noticed that Rogue Valley has some one gallon, but usually not in what I want. Are there any other companies that have the larger size plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best sources for one gallon own-root roses

Chamblee's, Antique Rose Emporium and Rose Petals Nursery ALL ship one gallon roses. Just make sure to order roses that will do good in your zone. All of the above nurseries sell a good selection of roses that will thrive in your climate. And some that will croak during the first winter in your zone. Rose Petals Nursery is located in Florida but they do have a good number of roses that will do just fine in your climate.

o

Thank you, paparoseman.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 12:28

I recieved a 1 gallon from Antique Rose Emporium but I think they stopped shipping roses for the year.

o

I'm not planning to order anything now, just for future reference. Thanks.

o

Also look for roses at Roses Unlimited and they only carry own root roses. Call or e mail for availability.

o

I order from ARE and Chamblees. I have not ordered from CHamblees for a few years since I have found what I want at ARE.

I am glad your Reines de Violettes is doing well. Mine is struggling, yet many of my roses are not thriving this year. I cannot blame our weather, and my neglect on the nursery.

Many people go to one of these nurseries from our area, and purchase the roses directly. I do believe that the plants that they can purchase in person are much larger than what they ship.

Sammy

o

Sammy - Thank you. I do hope your roses start doing better soon. Mine are doing better since our recent rains. I am excited about ARE and Chamblees both and am looking forward to ordering from them. I'm sure Rose Petals Nursery is also a good source.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here