Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Training Climbing Roses - Help with Laterals?

gardenbug
10 years ago

My climbing rose is doing well. It is called 'Polka' - It is three years old now. Earlier in the spring, I positioned the canes horizontally and I cut back the lateral shoots. Now, the lateral shoots are getting pretty long (3ft) There are clusters of buds at the tops. Should I try to bend these laterals to get them to go horizontally, just like I did with the main canes? Right now, my laterals are shooting straight up past my 6' fence structure.
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your help.

Comments (8)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

It's up to you to decide. If you want a thicker fuller look, yes, start bending some of your laterals so that they form laterals. Or trim the laterals back to about 6 inches or so---or a combination of both.

Love to see some photos of its next blooming.

Kate

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dublin Bay, thanks for your help with my roses.
    The laterals have lots of buds at the tips. If I trim the laterals back now, I'll lose those buds. Should I wait until after they bloom or before they bloom to cut them back. Will they get more buds when they are about 6 inches? Sure, I'll be glad to post a picture when they are in bloom. Thanks again for your help.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

After they bloom! try cutting a few short, and leave the same number longer. Mark which is which with lengths of colored string or wool. See which ones do better--then you know what is best! Yes, pictures please when blooming, 'Polka' is so gorgeous.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

What hoovb said. : )

Kate

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

Yep, I'd cut them after they bloom. I cut a lot of laterals on various climbers to 6 inches, sure. It does depend on the rose to some extent, but mostly mine like it.

Some won't bloom as quickly with growth taken off, and others like it better in order to bloom, though! Most of mine are just 'normal' here and they rebloom the same time they normally do.

I don't get it, but I usually experiment like hoov says and see which way works best for the rose. I don't know Polka personally, but she looks like a beauty!

If it helps any, usually my tall/climbing Meillands like pruning of their laterals better than no pruning of them to repeat bloom best.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your wonderful help. I've been fretting over this all spring. I love hoovb's idea of the colored wool. So, I'm going to do that. It would be a great experiment for me. See? that's why I love coming here. I learn so much from you all. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

• eco_ali
    10 years ago

Hi all, I'm new here but I'm buying some late season potted roses and cant decide between some beautiful orange and multicolor ones for here in NJ. Can anyone advise on these?
    My color scheme is mostly lavender/mauve, peach/pink and white with some deep pink/purple and orange accents.

Chihuly floribunda, George Burns floribunda, Easy Does It floribunda, Living Easy floribunda and Joseph's Coat climber, Polka climber...which of the 4 floribundas (cant decide between Easy Does It and Living Easy) and 2 climbers do you think I should choose?

Thanks all!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Hi eco--you would probably get more responses if you started a new thread and asked your question.

Sorry I can't help you--haven't grown any of those roses. I like the ideas you are working with, however. : )

Kate