Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My ramblers in full bloom

Posted by CaraRose 5b Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 0:52

Taken last week. They're sadly nearly done now.

And from the alley looking in to the yard--

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My ramblers in full bloom

How pretty! I love the way they cascade

o

And your rambler's name is.....? Congratulations on filling a very difficult space beautifully. I'd never have thought of a rose there but you have certainly made it work well. Bet you have lots of time into training all those canes! How are they supported? Do you use hooks, wires or what?

o

• Posted by elks US5 Can6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 6:52

It looks like Excelsa.

o

How attractive--that is really lovely. And such a difficult space to deal with! Congratulations.

Kate

o

Thanks all :)

Annececilia, I unfortunately don't know the name. Up to a post a few weeks ago on this forum, I thought they were cecile brunners since I found an ancient tag in the rose bed when I was renovating it that was stamped cl. cecile brunner. My mom thinks they've been there for around 60 years, planted by my great aunt's sister-in-law, who was the first owner of the house.

I used wires I nailed into the garage. Threaded the canes through as they grew. Still have a few bare spots, but they're filling in really well. This is the first year with a really good bloom since I started working on the bed a few years ago. My parents were just hacking the canes back to keep them in check. The bed was a weedy mess.

Here's what it looked like when I started working on it:

o

Well, then, CaraRose - you are to be doubly congratulated for envisioning what "might have been" and making it come true whether for the first time or once again. You've created a lovely walkway!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 15:42

They're gorgeous, Cara!

o

Is it fragrant?

o

Very fragrant, though it fades as the blooms age.

o

So pretty! Go zone 5! Yay!

o

So pretty! Go zone 5! Yay!

o

Gorgeous!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here