Houzz Logo Print
henry_kuska

100 Aniversary Review article plant virus defense

henry_kuska
10 years ago

Title: "RNA silencing against viruses: molecular arms race
between Cucumber mosaic virus and its host"

Authors: Chikara Masuta ⢠Hanako Shimura

Published in: Journal of General Plant Pathology, Volume 79, issue 4, pages 227 - 232, (July 2013)

--------------------------------------
This article is significant (to me) because it was selected as the 100 Aniversary Review article; and therefore is indicative (to me) of the present interest in the recently discovered fact that plants have immune systems.

However, the reason that I am posting it is because it brings together a concise summary of what has been determined about the relationship between mammal and plant immune systens.

Title of chapter: "RNA interference (RNAi) as an antiviral mechanism against mammalian viruses

This is what appears belowthe above title.
"RNA silencing functions as an antiviral mechanism in plants, insects and mammals (Csorba et al. 2009; Haasnoot et al. 2007; Shimura and Pantaleo 2011; Wang et al. 2012). Antibacterial immunity has also been demonstrated to be induced by endogenous sRNAs in plants (Jin 2008; Katiyar-Agarwal et al. 2007). Although RNA silencing is no longer regarded as a crucial mechanism for antiviral defense in mammals as it is in plants, more evidence is accumulating that animal RNAi does have an important role in the antiviral defense mechanisms in mammalian cells and that RNAi suppression is also common in many mammalian viruses. For example, primate foamy virus type 1 (PFV-1) and vesicular stomatitis virus (VSV) are inhibited by host miRNAs miR-32 and miR-24 + miR-93, respectively (Lecellier et al. 2005; Otsuka et al. 2007). As a counter-defense, PFV-1 overcomes miRNA-mediated host antiviral system using its RSS, the Tas protein (Lecellier et al. 2005). Other mammalian viruses also encode RSSs such as influenza A virus NS1, vaccinia virus E3L, HCV Core, HIV-1 Tat, the Ebola virus VP35, and adenovirus VAI and VAII (reviewed by Haasnoot et al. 2007)."

H.Kuska comment. It appears to me that Nature is more consistent in its (chemical) behavior between plants, insects, mammals, and bacteria than most of us would have dreamed even, say 20 years ago. If you have children or grandchildren that are in the stage of life where they are considering their lifetime occupations, I recommend that you expose them to the fascinating research that is now being done in plant science. Feeding the world is going to be a major challege for the coming adult generation and understanding the chemical behavior of plants should (I feel) be a major contributor to the optimization of this process.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10327-013-0448-4#

Here is a link that might be useful: link to abstract

Comments (2)