Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

I am looking for a short growing rose

Laurel Zito
9 years ago

I have a small space in front, I want to place a rose, that does not grow tall, but not a miniature rose. Can someone suggest names, and hopefully it likes foggy weather, or at least is not a heat lover.

Comments (13)

• michaelg
    9 years ago

'Prospero' reportedly does well on the West Coast, and it won't ball in the fog. It's a really delightful rose, too, if you like the old-fashioned bloom form.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Some other short options would be some of the Kordes floribundas like Elegant Fairy Tale, Floral Fairy Tail, or Cream Flower Circus. All of them stay below 3 feet or so in my zone, and would be probably somewhat taller but not a monster in your zone. Those are all subtle pastel colors, but if you want a darker rose with the same carefree ease, LavaGlut by Kordes is good. Julia Child is a nice carefree yellow that seems to stay manageable even in warm zones.

Having said this, you'll want to check with people in your zone about balling or mildew since we don't get much of that in my zone.

Cynthia

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

There are many Polyanthas which would fit the bill. Their flowers are individually small, but they come in clusters. I'd also recommend 'Golden Buddha' if you want huge flowers on a small plant. Mine is in its second year, blooms in several flushes throughout the season, and remains totally healthy without chemical assistance.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Golden Buddha' at HelpMeFind

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think that would be my best bet, but Golden Buddha is out of stock. My house is sort of peach colored, but needs to be repainted some. Its for in front in a small area. I can see any type of warm orange and yellows working, but if I repainted I can repaint it white and get the red one LavaGlut. I am saving all of these names, but what is one that is low growing no more then 3 feet that I can plant for right now, meaning, I can find it somewhere to buy? I can order something from Regan Nursery as I am close to them. And maybe plant it in the winter as a bare root?

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Buddha site to buy from

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

At least where I am, now isn't the best time to be buying and planting roses -- too hot to ship, and would be a bit of a shock to put in the ground without vigilant watering. I'm of the opinion that rather than settle for something less than what you want simply because it's available now, wait -- if you simply MUST plant something there to give a "finished" look, plop some annuals in the spot. Otherwise, if you find something else, you may be kicking yourself later when what you really wanted is suddenly available. Many own-root rose nurseries (like RVR) will put out a new wave of available roses for Autumn, which isn't really that far away. You could also email them asking when they think their next round of 'Golden Buddha' is due to be available.

:-)

~Christopher

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I will contact them this is hoping they will restock. This is a good time for me to plant in San Francisco temp in the 60s here.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I was going to suggestion Golden Buddha as well because it is about the only rose I have that has stayed short. Gruss an Aachen stays shortish, not as short as GB, but quite petite in the scheme of things. I see from the several planted at the Huntington that 'Snowbird' stays on the short side--mine is short but too young for me as yet to be confident it will stay that way. 'Julia Child'--I have three--have become 6 footers.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Two comments on HMF said that Golden Budda stays short, because it focuses on bloom production, a nice quality in a rose.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Is Reagans still open?

I like my Gruss an Aachen and she is short, so short for me I need to move her because she is skipped in the view.

I get some mildew on her but she does not seem to care, Weeping China Doll would hang over if you like that look.

Sexy Rexy is staying small too, but not very quick on the rebloom.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I called and Golden Buddha has a waiting list, but now I think this rose is too good for the front. I wanted to plant a rose to discourage flower pickers. But, someone could dig it up and steal it. I have morning sun in front on an eastern exposure and this rose is shade tolerate, good for SF, but I don't know how much it costs, and if I can afford to risk having someone steal it. Some bargain basement rose, I would save from dying would be just the ticket for that area.

There is a china rose growing on the next house near me, so a china would look nice together with the other china. Thanks for the other suggestions. I want to get a security camera for the front, but my husband does want to spend the money right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: direct link to rose, hope this works

This post was edited by tropical_thought on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 23:39

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got Cherish at Lowes on the die table. It looked small and the tag said 3 to 5 feet, but now I found this link, that said it's tall.

Now I see other comments that it could be small, I guess if it out grows the space I can move it maybe? I know it's hard to move them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherish rose Tall?

This post was edited by tropical_thought on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 21:52

• jerijen
    9 years ago

International Herald Tribune.

• Seeingreen
    9 years ago

Paprika! low growing, orange and yellow, single or semi single, super hardy and It does fine in zone 8b :)http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.172938

This post was edited by seeingreen on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 20:08