Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
racin_rose

Hello Everybody

racin_rose
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the rose hobby (read: obsession) and I thought I'd join g-web because of all the great information I've gotten from lurking here for months.

I'm an active duty Navy air traffic controller stationed at Whidbey Island, WA but I live in Arlington. I joined HMF and after adding just about all my roses to my "garden" I realized I have 22 plants (small for most, huge for me) and 2 OGR bands on the way from Rogue Valley.

This April I started several bands from Heirloom, and having not snuffed any of them out and already being able to enjoy blooms and buds from some of them already, I'm pretty much addicted.

Anyway, I just thought I'd say "Hi," and thanks to everyone who's asked all the questions I've had and everyone who has given the answers.

Comments (10)

• frenchcuffs13
    10 years ago

Hi there! I live in your neck of the wild west, the Puyallup/Sumner area. Glad to see your saying hello. Nice bloom you have there too- which one is it? Hope to hear more from you and see pics of those roses!

(I lurk alot also and try to research everything i can before asking questions).

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Welcome and enjoy. Let your garden be a place to "get away from it all". Don't forget, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

• racin_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome, thanks guys!

Thanks Frenchcuffs, that's a "Tennessee" mini. I should cut that bloom but it was the first one and I had to know what it looked like.

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

Hi! I'm a new addict too :-) Beautiful rose and congratulations on your success rate!!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Hi, racin and welcome to the group!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Welcome to GW racin_rose! :)

• reemcook
    10 years ago

Hi racin_rose,

Welcome to Gardenweb.

I want to thank you for your service to our country. Freedom is not entirely free; it hails from the sacrifice of our of compatriots. No words can truly describe my gratitude towards the men and women who serve (or have served) in the military.

Thank you.

Reem

• Lady_of_Shalott
    10 years ago

Hi racin_rose,
    I'm new to the forum and have also been lurking around here for a while. That is a lovely bloom you have there!

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Hi Racin -- There are quite a few Old Rose addicts up your way, so plenty of scope for learning more about those roses.

Jeri

• racin_rose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome everybody!

Reem, I love my job and I am, above all, happy to be employed. The deployments aren't the greatest, but there are a whole lot worse things I could be doing. Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks also to everyone for the complements on the mini. I have a few minis but that is by far my favorite now. It's such a good little plant already.

Jeri, I love OGR's and wish more of them were repeat bloomers, because I'm greedy. Because of my occupation I rent a home in the country so I'm apprehensive about planting anything that will get too huge and having to leave it behind if I move in 5 years. It's really a conundrum.

I love a lot of the Austins and have 4 total, but having gone to a local nursery and seen a good number of them IRL, I've become a lot pickier...especially since so many of them are either strange plants overall, and/or ate up with RMV!!! I have a Jubilee Celebration that shows mild signs of it but is a big grower and bloom machine, so who knows? I keep it in a big pot on the deck and prune it with its own clippers just to be safe.

I could go on and on but I'm afraid it will get too lengthy.

Thanks again everyone for the friendly welcome, I'm glad to be here.

-Kellyn

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!