Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sport of the wonderful rose 'Morey's Pink' in my yard :)

Posted by meredith_e 7B Piedmont NC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 1:39

No pics, sorry! But it's one of those where half the rose has red all in it (MP is usually a nice bright mid-pink). It's so cool!

None of the other buds of that cluster have opened yet. Will this just go away, or might it stay? I've never had one of these before :)

Even if this is just fleeting, let me have y'all look up Morey's Pink. I tell you, this rose is easy and lovely, with charming cupped blossoms and color ALL season. It doesn't get any easier, and short roses are so useful. She's one of my workhorses. She stays pink in summer, too, instead of fading out to white. No fragrance to me, though.

I hope we get to have a pink-and-red version, too :D I know just where I'd put her, lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sport of the wonderful rose 'Morey's Pink' in my yard :)

Congratulations, Meredith! Morey's Pink has sported to that red at least twice (that I know of) before. I saw it once in Sharon VanEnoo's garden in Torrance, CA where the excellent photo provided in the Philips and Rix wonderful book, The Quest for the Rose appeared, and once in mine. I can't find the images of the mutation, but this is the photo from The Quest for the Rose, which was posted on HMF with Roger Philip's permission. I'd love for someone to isolate that sport. It occurs, or perhaps I notice it when too much else is happening and I don't get to it. Morey's Pink is a good little rose! It caught my attention as a small, odd plant in the nursery at The Huntington Library. No one knew anything about it except a nursery person from Northern California shared it with them. I planted it in a fifteen gallon can to give it a chance, where it showed its stuff. It wasn't until John Clements bought it at a Huntington Rose Symposium and later recognized it at Muriel Humenick's wonderful Rose Acres in Eldorado, CA that a name was put to it. I corresponded with Dr. Morey about it several times. He stated it was "ahead of its time" and he thought it too good to lose, so he planted it in his home garden, from which he shared it with Muriel. He provided the parentage listed on HMF. He wrote he had a number of other "too good to lose seedlings" in his garden he felt worthy of spreading around. We set a visit date, which had to be changed due to his wife's health. Unfortunately the date was never to be kept as he later passed. His rose remains in a number of gardens, including yours and mine.

To identify it, I tagged it "Pink Cluster Test" until a proper identification could be determined. I wanted to have it planted in the main gardens, but Clair Martin, Curator of Roses at the time, felt it unfair to plant a rose where the public would see and want it and not be able to obtain it, so it remained in the nursery. When Philips and Rix came to photograph the roses, Sharon dropped "Test" from the name as she hated it. When they labeled the photos, they naturally took the identification of the 1938 Morse floribunda, but the image is definitely Morey's Pink. I'm glad you also have it. Good luck isolating that red sport! It's definitely needed! Kim

o

Kim didn't mention that a photo of his sport is posted at HMF:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Sport

o

Thank you, Mike. That's because I forgot it was there! That was the photo I was looking for on the multitude of thumb drives by the computer. Much appreciated! Kim

o

I planted Morey's Pink last spring. I love this rose as it is easy to care for and is a prolific bloomer even in my triple digit temps.

Meredith, I'll be keeping an eye out for the sporting. Thank you for starting this thread. For now, here's a photo I took of a cluster a couple of days ago ... non-sport.

Smiles,
Lyn

o

Oh wow, I just love the different shades and form of Morey's Pink in the photographs and I couldn't pass it up after the high recommendations. It was available as a band from Rogue Valley Roses and I ordered it. I'll have to pull out a jade plant to make some room. The jade will do nicely in a pot. This rose will go in the ground as an eye catcher in front of my house. I'm glad it stays small! Thank you Meredith for starting this post and thank you to those who responded. It should grow well in my area.

Kim, I guess I was wrong when I said my garden was "full". But really, I think I'm set now. From now on, I need to make a rule, one rose in, one rose out.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Morey's Pink China by Kim Rupert

o

Bonnie, I think you'll love her! I was even wrong about the fragrance. With nothing else blooming near her, mine is definitely fragrant now that's she's older (or with the current weather). It's more of a fresh flower kind of scent than a stereotypical rose scent.

Lyn, yours is so pretty!

Thank you soooo much, Kim, and to mike for the picture. My first unusual bloom, subject of the OP, is like that mostly, yes! But it turns out that half of each petal on the dark half of the rose is red. So one side of the rose has half-red petals :) The other side is just normal.

I've been waiting patiently for more buds to open on the new cane (and its sub-canes). It turns out that one flower is just red! The JBs hit it right away, so I don't know what the very ends (top) of the petals look like, but the vast majority of the petals are intact, and it's a red for sure!

This is all from a new, robust cane that came up this year. Oddly, it looks like one part of it might have sported a paler pink than usual (no color at all in the buds and very light flowers) and another part sported the pure red, while the original part of the cane sported a mixed rose. Is that possible? The palest pink might just be natural weather variation, because it's subtle if that's any form of sport.

The reds are definitely red, though: one mixed and one solid :)

o

My Morey's Pink just finished a wonderful display. It has been a little slow to get going, but I am going to blame that on location. And when it puts out blooms, is is a massive number that just seem to stay and stay and stay.

o

You're welcome, Meredith! Yes, it's possible, but weather variations can also create that very light pink. And, yes, it's possible for only the one flower to have mutated. It's also possible for half the cluster to mutate while the other half remains "normal". It just depends upon where the gene that changes is and what growth comes from it. Kim

o

Thank you, Kim :) I'm really excited! I'm going to let that big cane just keep on growing and see what happens.

o

Neat! You're welcome! I'm eager to see what it does for you. Good luck! Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here