Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frenchcuffs13_gw

New Exhibitor needs advice

frenchcuffs13
10 years ago

I copied and pasted this from my original post in Exhibiting forum, sorry if that's annoying but i don't seem to get replies there, or maybe I'm impatient. Who knows.

I have been searching high and low for really good pruning advice. Kitty Belendez has a great article explaining leaving only 3-4 canes on Ht's. While i understand this, i don't get enough show quality blooms to take more than a few and only to a couple shows as they take so long to recover (this is off 6 HTs)
Does this mean i need more plants or ?

I do have a couple floribundas, but even they take time to recover after first flush. How do people get plenty o'blooms. Is it variety, type, pruning methods?
I'm lost on this, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Even better, tell me what you do.

Comments (11)

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    10 years ago

Yes, you will only get a few show quality blooms off six HTs--but, in theory, this is all you need to win Queen of Show. A few years ago I cut a dozen stems, and won three Queens at the Lower Cape Rose Society Rose--HT, miniflora, and mini. Marci Martin brought just two dozen stems, set aside half of them, and won a bunch of trophies at the recent CT rose show,which is extremely competitive. If you bring too many stems, you may not have enough time to properly groom them for exhibition.

Depending on the variety you grow, you may be able to refrigerate your blooms. But, as you have found, taking exhibition stems off plants is hard on the plant, unless it is unusually big and vigorous, like Elina.

Most exhibitors grow too many plants--I have over 200 bushes, though many are varieties that are unlikely to do well in a show. But, I think rose shows are also about education--how better to teach folks what Dr. Huey looks like than the bring a stem to the show?

This post was edited by zack_lau on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 11:58

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Many exhibitors also grow multiple plants (3 - 5) of their "bankers", so that they have a number of blooms to select from for the show. The ones who exhibit a lot of floribundas, shrubs, etc., have a LOT of plants period, so that they have a wide selection, and can enter a number of different varieties into each class.

If you haven't purchased it already, get a copy of Robert Martin's Showing Good Roses, and also read his exhibiting site, Roseshow.com. And get a copy of the Guidelines for Judging Roses from the ARS.

And yes, you can do well with one plant, but look to roses that have done well at shows in your area for the best results. Bob Martin's site has show results from this years's shows, and aggregate reports for the past 5 - 10 years.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

It depends on what you want to exhibit. If you want to focus on HT's, pick 7 or 8 that do well in your area and get 5 bush's of each variety. I like to grow a good variety of all class'. So I don't have more then 3 bushs of any rose. My best source of roses for my area comes from Roseshow.com. I look at all the shows in my general area and check to see what has been winning. I know a lot of times the "new and must have" wins a lot but I really look at the older varieties (10 yrs old or older) and go with them and add one or two of the newer ones that I like the color of. I also like to go to other exhibitors gardens to see what grows well for them. Learn from people in your general area.

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

The advice above is spot on.

Read the rules book carefully and then find when a show will be near you and contact them and offer to clerk. You will learn from clerking how the judges think.

Clerk as often as you can and just listen. Then after the clerking, ask questions you might have.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I learned a ton of things by clerking our show. It's the best way to understand what the judges are looking for.

I don't have what you'd call an "exhibition" garden as I have lots of different varieties and no doubles to speak of. Like Zack I like to bring odd ball roses to the show just so people can see them. But I've still won several mini queens and been on the courts too. It only takes one bloom to win and I've seen that happen. We had a novice take HT queen once with the only bloom she brought!

• frenchcuffs13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil- that is fantastic, i bet she was very proud! Funny you said that about odd balls, my Lucille Ball got smiles when they figured out it wasn't Brandy ha!

THANK YOU everyone for taking the time to post and voice your ideas, i do appreciate every bit of advice.

I have it narrowed down to....I need more roses! You enablers! Though i don't need a truck load of blooms, at least a handful would be nice. I'll go with 3-5 plants of ea for now.

I love roseshow.com and have been feverishly reading on what bankers are, how to refrigerate, etc. It's all very fascinating and yes, i need to clerk at a show. Luckily i got hooked up with a veteran exhibitor my first time out last month, but everyone is so busy i didn't want to get in her way too much.
    I will pay closer attention this weekend instead of being confused amidst the caos. ( i told them "i'm new and have no idea what i'm doing". Some laughed, some looked worried.)

• frenchcuffs13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think one the keys is what many of you said about diversifying. I will order some minis, shrubs, floribundas when the society does a wholesale order.
    Thanks again

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

French, let me know what you come up with because I'm interested in trying my hand at the whole thing but thought I should maybe start with minis...I know very little.

I don't know if you've been over to Raft Island in Gig Harbor, but they have some huge, healthy grafted plants for a very fair $25, and their selection is diverse. I bought a Saint Patrick and a Voodoo there the other day, and I'm going back for Francis Meilland because it's haunted me ever since I saw it.

Let me know what show(s) you're doing, I'd like to come check it out if I'm off work.

• dove_song
    10 years ago

Spot on advice from all of these experienced rosarians. :-)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

If you're going to do a few mini's, make sure you get some of George Manders mini's. He is just a little north of you over in Canada. Make sure you get 2 bush's of Glowing Amber. Fantastic rose. Hortico Nursery's carries all his stuff.

• frenchcuffs13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wonderful advice from everyone, thank you!

Ken, i will check them out, Glowing Amber is well, glowing! And ofcourse I'm open to other ideas and suggestions and would love to hear what roses you all like, any type.

Racin- This weekend is at Olympia, WA on Saturday July 13th. I hope to see you there, my name is Sarah (and no I'm not french. drat.) I only brought 1 rose to my first show, so i encourage you to try if you want. Just bring your best one and have fun. This is a great easy to read article that encouraged me to try. And just think- you get to enter the novice class too.

http://spokanerosesociety.org/2013/06/bringing-roses-to-the-show/#comment-6054

Don't get me started on Raft Island-heaven!