Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aside from early sawfly damage, Easy Does It goes & goes

Posted by esther_b NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 1:53

I can't believe that the little stick I planted last year would grow up to be such a beautiful and highly productive bush. Easy Does It surpasses my hopes and dreams for a blackspot free beautiful rose. Just wanted to share that. I will not subject myself ever again to roses I have to spray and spray, only to see they drop all their leaves and die.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aside from early sawfly damage, Easy Does It goes & goes

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 11:34

So glad you're enjoying EDI! I love those bright colors!

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 16:03

Easy Does it did not like it here... Bad BS in its 1st & 2nd year so it got SP-ed...

Glad to hear its doing better in your location! :)

o

Easy Does It doesn't have a blackspot problem here and I have seldom seen a newly planted bare root take off and bloom so profusely in a matter of months. Even through our extreme heatwave it kept going strong. It's other competitor would be Livin' Easy, another Harkness rose that has been sturdy and heavy blooming for years. Mary

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 21:34

I think our strain of BS here is just not fond of some Harkness roses... Easy does it , Livin Easy got BS badly...

I really liked both Easy Does It and Living Easy too....:(

o

I planted my 5 gal, already blooming, Easy Does It in late June just before a record breaking heat wave hit (got up to 113 here in the foothills; 110 officially). That crazy baby rose never stopped blooming through it all, and continues to be covered with blooms while temps hover in the high 90s. We don't have blackspot, so at least I don't have to deal with that. I love Easy Does It. What a trouper. Diane

o

The whole Easy-to-Love series does great for me here in hot, humid Alabama. All of them are bloom machines even through our hottest summers. Most can be grown no spray here, where almost nothing else can be. The ones I have that are own root (Easy Does It, Easy Going and Livin' Easy), do seem to be more disease resistant than my grafted ones (Cinco de Mayo, Hot Cocoa, and another Livin' Easy). They all get much bigger in my climate than I expected, though...at least 5 ft (and most topping 6 ft) by at least 4 ft by end of season.

o

I wonder what it is about that Easy series. My Livin' Easy is own root and every year it throws so many new canes that I reduce by three or four at pruning time. I keep expecting after seven years it will slow down. None of my other roses do that. I'm really surprised it gets BS. That's a shame because it's such a trooper otherwise. I always think of it as a rose that will take a tougher growing situation but I see that's not true.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here