Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mori1_gw

Where are the mosquitoes?

mori1
10 years ago

I've been working out in the garden, late into the evening for the last 2 weeks and I just realized today that there are no mosquitoes. Not that I want them around but its July and it just seem strange.

Comments (14)

• amberroses
    10 years ago

They're here in Florida with me :)

This post was edited by amberroses on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 7:55

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

They are in Wisconsin's Northwoods. My parents are being eaten alive. Worst year anyone can remember.

Down here in SE Wisconsin, we've hardly seen any. Weird.

• Chaoticdreams
    10 years ago

They are here in NW Florida with me as well. I'll send some your way along with some yellow flies. :D

With the crazy spring most of the country had, if it was still really cold in May, the eggs probably died off. Cold winters and springs make for mild skitter seasons, at least here they do. Normally.

• cecily
    10 years ago

It's been rainy in northern Virginia. We've had cicadas, Japanese beetles and mosquitoes in abundance this season. Lovely.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Yes, they're here in central Fla. in great abundance. I got my first yellow fly bite last week. Boy, those things do a number on me.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Michigan has it's share too!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

There's LOTS to be shared here in my neck of the woods. No mater what time of day, you go outside you'll get bit by either mosquitoes or yellow fly.

• prairielaura
    10 years ago

Oh let me whine about my chigger bites, which i probably have close to fifty, if not more. Apparently the cat downloaded an army of chiggers onto the porch settee. I am very allergic, so i have welts the size of pinto beans alllll over. Including the um, bikini area. Did i mention the insane itching? Not a happy party.

• mori1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I don't want any of your mosquitoes or yellow flies ( I don't think we have them here) so please don't send them.

Prairielaura, I share your love of chiggers and sadly I've been bitten in areas I can't believe..... But so far not a single mosquito in sight.

This post was edited by mori1 on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 18:23

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Laura, I haven't had chiggers in years, but when we used to horseback ride in the Ocala Forest, I would get covered in them, so I know your misery.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

They are in Chicago....Blackhawks fans, you know.

• bunnicula03
    10 years ago

They are here in NJ. Worst year I can remember! Goes along with the horrible humidity which makes any time outside feel like taking a sauna.... did I mention the blackspot?

Chiggers are the worst, though. I'll take mosquitoes over those buggers any day.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Things calm here on the mosquito front also Mori1...
    I haven't encountered very many this year either...

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

Oh, poor prairielaura! I've only had chiggers about twice.

The mosquitoes are eating me alive daily, thankyouverymuch. I really need to put on a spray!

I have seen a world of dragonflies this year, so that's nice. They are wonderful to see everywhere in a garden even if the mosquitoes are still a total PITA ;)

I'm one of those people who gets bitten in the middle of winter, so c'est la vie and all :) They could use my blood as a lure. Maybe the dragonflies will end that one day *crosses fingers*