Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hershigrl

Proposed Rose Trellises

hershigrl
15 years ago

For years, I've pondered what to do with our huge blank wall that faces the street, which is the side of the garage. I've decided that what I need are big trellises for growing roses. As you can see, I've sketched out a design. The big trellis would be 9.5'x 6'10", with 6" posts and 2" crossbeams. The smaller trellises would be 8'x3.5', with 4" posts and 2" crossbeams. The trellises would be spaced 18" apart.

{{gwi:301614}}

What do you think of the design? Too big? Too close the roof line? Do you think the sizes of the beams are right? Hubby thinks he might be able to do it himself, but neither of us has any carpentry experience. Plus, I don't want to wait forever. We're getting quotes for putting in a picket fence right now, so the plan is to get a quote for whatever design I come up with at the same time.

The fun part will be picking the roses! I already have Annie Laurie McDowell, which is sort of a double version of Renee (light pink). I'm thinking about maybe a red rose as well. Do you think red will be too American flag looking with the color of the house?

- Hershi

Comments (26)

• rlukacevic
    15 years ago

Hershi,

I think it looks great. I don't know Annie Laurie McDowell. Red roses are beautiful. I think you might want to post this on the Antique Rose forum as well and get some input from them. You will get some great suggestions.

Robert

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Oh, I LOVE the pics I have seen of Annie Laurie McDowell!! It was at the top of my "covet" list for a long time, but struggled with the hardiness for my zone. I now have a Stanwell Perpetual that will fulfill my "fluffy light pink" need.

Okay, sorry, little rabbit trail. Personally, I think any dark climber would get lost against your garage unless your trellises are the white you represent in your design. (Very cool design, too, I might add. What program did you use to create this? I am a very visual person and would LOVE to be able to semi-preview my choices before commiting...)

How many of those plants are already there, and which are "proposed plants? Which direction does that wall face? That will make a big difference, in your climate, as to which roses will do well there.

It doesn't look too close to the roofline, to me. Because there are the three wide sections it is pretty balanced. But in your climate, again, even short climbers might get out-of-control big in no time flat. Don't choose something like Cl. Cecile Brunner or New Dawn. Something with a conservative bent will serve you best! Other SoCal folks can advise you better on that.

Good luck, have fun!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Looks fantastic! You want something on the bold side, not flimsy and weak looking. Since they will be partially hidden by the foliage, bigger is going to be better.

Pale pinks would look good. And don't forget the clematis!

I built my own towers (with a little help from Alan) -- it is not that difficult. Use wood screws, not nails, of course.

• katefisher
    15 years ago

I think that will look nice also. One thing to remember and I mention this only because we over looked it when initially putting up our two trellis on the house was to leave space between your support and the house itself. I don't know exactly how much room is prescribed but we have ours four inches out now. Sometimes you get so focused on putting them in place you forget those little details or at least I know I do.

Hope this helps.

Kate

• lagomorphmom
    15 years ago

The proportion looks good to me, too.

Good comment about the red looking lost against the dark blue. What if you put the brightest yellow climber you can find in the middle and then another pink shade on the other side? Then, if you have enough room, you could put some different bright reds, deep orange-reds or other darker ones in front so that the color will pop against the lighter background.

If I had to chose, I would forgo scent for a) continuous repeat and b) disease resistance unless you're religious about spraying. Don't know about you, but in my coastal area mildew reigns supreme, with severe rust coming seasonally for those affected.

• jerijen
    15 years ago

I like the proportions very much.
    Where'd you get Annie Laurie McDowell?
    Katefisher is right about space between the trellis and the wall.
    One ingenious idea I saw was to put HINGES on the bottom of the trellis,
    so that it could be leaned forward for cleanup and pruning.

As to roses, I don't think red's necessarily going to be lost, but if I wanted red there,
    in Southern California, I think I might use Fourth of July.

For more golden colors, you might look at some of the yellow-y Tea Noisettes. Check out:
    Reve d'Or,
    William Allen Richardson,
    Crepuscule.

If you want white, the climber 'Sombreuil' is a stalwart in CA.
    If you want a more restrained pink, "Grandmother's Hat" can make a disease-free,
    continuous-blooming 8-ft climber, espaliered on a trellis.

Jeri

• hershigrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of your helpful comments!

Jeri, I got Annie Laurie McDowell three years ago from Ashdown. The poor thing has been stuck in a 5 gallon pot ever since. I've had to cut off countless climbing canes since it's currently stuck in my pot getto. It will be so happy to get into the ground! Thanks also for your rose suggestions. I'm not a yellow person, but I've added Grandmother's Hat and Sombreuil to the list of potential buys.

Greenhaven, all the plants are already existing. The wall is west facing, so no trouble with sun.

HoovB, I'm definitely putting in clemetis! And I love your garden structures! I don't know if we're that talented though. If the quote is forbiddingly high, however, I'll be emailing you with questions! :)

Kate, thanks for the tip about the spacing with the wall.

Lagomorphmom, I'm completely on board with your criteria. I've have 2 little kids so easier is better!

Any other white/pink/red/purple suggestions for low maintenance short climbers would be appreciated!

Thanks!

• jerijen
    15 years ago

When you get that ALD in the ground and mature, I'd love to see a pix I could send to Kim Rupert.

Jeri

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Be sure and put up after photos. Can't wait to see it. I think the yellow and pink would look great.

hoovb Do you have pictures of your towers you could post?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

here you go proudgm_03

{{gwi:301615}}

{{gwi:301616}}

{{gwi:301617}}

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Wow! Those look great. Love the dogs!

• BecR
    15 years ago

Hi Herschigirl! Another beautiful climbing rose to consider is Berries 'n Cream. Good luck--can't wait to see the results. ;-) Becky

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Annie Laurie McDowell is the rose that led me to Stanwell Perpetual...since ALD was not available when I wanted one so badly.

I hope it will come back on the market sometime.

• janen
    15 years ago

hoovb your trellis looks WONDERFUL !!! Do you have measurements/ instructions about how to make these? I would love to know how to do that. Thank you. Janen

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

janen it is very easy:

You basically make two "A" shapes out of 2x2 cedar or redwood. Depending on height, you may need more than a single crossbar. It depends how tall your tower is. I put 3. No need to measure, they just need to be evenly spaced.

Now you have your two "A" shapes, and you connect those two "A"s with two additional sets of crossbars to form the tower. (The tower ends up with 4 sides.)

You can then add 1 or more pickets or fence slats, I think they are 1x2s, going vertically, running up the middles of the "A"s, to add visual interest and additional strength.

The horizontal crossbars need to be cut at an angle at each end (because the long sides of the "A" taper towards the top, it forms an angle), so a miter saw or miter box to get the angle cuts is extremely helpful.

Put everything together with wood or deck screws, not nails, to make it last longer. You get a fence-post topper to put on the top to make it look fancier.

Materials:
    4 2x2's for the "A"s.
    additional 2x2s for the crossbars
    wood or deck screws
    fence post topper for top
    Tools:
    saw, preferably miter (angle)
    drill for drilling/screwing the wood screws
    safety goggles
    Optional
    Husband to say "Here, give me that, I'll do it." while you go into the house and have a glass of lemonade.

Even easier is to make teepees from rebar. Sink the rebar 18"-24" into the ground and use a hose clamp to connect them all at the top. You can also put a fence-post topper on the top as well for extra pizazz.

Here is a link that might be useful: a picture of what a hose clamp is

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

"Optional
    Husband to say "Here, give me that, I'll do it." while you go into the house and have a glass of lemonade. "

ROFL!! That's cute, hoovb, and lucky oyu to have a hubby who likes to do that handy stuff. The teepees look great!

• janen
    15 years ago

WOW. Thanks so very much hoovb. Yours look great. I'm going to try my hand at that. One difference - my husband will be inside sipping on the lemonade !!! I really appreciate your sharing the directions with us. Thank you.

• azurerose
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

This is the original poster, HershiGrl. I've just changed my User Name to AzureRose. Anyway, I did go ahead and have the trellises built. We also decided to put in a picket fence. So, here are pictures:
    Now
    {{gwi:301618}}
    Before
    {{gwi:301620}}
    Now again
    {{gwi:301622}}

In another few years, hopefully I can add pictures with climbing roses covering them!

- Azure

p.s. In case you're wondering what happened to the tree in the "before" picture, I had to take two pictures to get the whole front of the house. My "photo merge" program merged the tree into our front gate!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Roses

• stephenc2010
    14 years ago

That looks amazing! I can't wait to see some pictures of it covered in roses!

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

It's amazing how much better your house looks with the trellises and picket fence! I can imagine the roses growing up - blooming beautifully and the scent filling the air. So romantic an entrance. Yes, please post pictures when it is covered in blooms.

• joannemb
    13 years ago

GORGEOUS! I'm looking to add a trellis to the very bare side of my house and while reading through the thread from the beginning I found myself hoping "I hope she posted a follow-up---I want to see it!" Lovely, really--just lovely!

• spokanite123
    13 years ago

I just discovered this thread. Wow, those trellises are AMAZING! Totally worth the time and effort. Congratulations!

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    13 years ago

I question your comment "Do you think red will be too American flag looking with the color of the house?"
    What's wrong with it being too American Flag looking?
    If I lived there, I'd have a big flag pole and flag in the middle of that yard.
    I'm not a veteran, just proud of being an American and of my flag and I see nothing wrong with a red, white and blue theme.

• petaloid
    13 years ago

Karl, I met the original poster some time ago and I'm sure that's not what she meant -- she's a lovely, sincere person.

• Lesleybird
    13 years ago

Wow! I love it love it love it!! Wish I had a place to do that. It looks fantastic. I think that one color in the middle, and the same color roses on both sides. Is your house really that pretty lavender color?? Nice. It if it were my house I would do New Dawn in the middle, and Don Juan on the sides. I am sure that you know have your idea of what colors you like. Make sure that you pick some varieties that are resistant to black spot. Lesley

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

Turned out very, very nice! I think it's great that you came back to post an update. Now, about those rose pics....

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz