Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carabiniero8

Are All Vendela Roses Created Equal?

carabiniero8
13 years ago

I am putting together my wedding flowers on a budget. I found two online companies that sell wholesale directly to the consumer. I would like to buy Vendela roses for my wedding bouquet and to use as a second focal flower for the centerpieces. On one of the websites the Vendela roses are quite a bit cheaper than on the other. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the color of the rose (off white vs. ivory). However, on the cheaper website, the roses in the picture do not look like they open up as much as do those that are more expensive. Then again, their pictures are kind of small. The other website shows a Vendela rose in different stages, some more open than others.

Question - Does a Vendela rose open up the same amount no matter where I purchase it from? Could difference in color explain why the two roses open up a different amount? Or did the other company simply not post the stage of the off white rose that is more open? Basically, is it possible that some Vendelas open up a lot more than others?

Here are the two websites:

cheaper option: https://www.farmstogo.com/s/home/main_buy_list.php?spx=27

more expensive, fuller rose option:

http://www.fiftyflowers.com/product/Vendela-Ivory-Rose_336.htm

Thank you very much for your help!

Comments (2)

• jaxondel
    13 years ago

All Vendelas are created equal, all suppliers are not. I strongly encourage you to attempt to contact others who have purchased from the vendors you're considering.

Altho all Vendelas are inherently identical, variations in culture (ie, conditions under which they're grown -- light intensity, temperature, growing medium, type/amount of fertilization, etc) can produce differences in appearance. Usually, such differences are subtle.

I'd think that the most important elements in the purchase of cut flowers shipped from a distance would be the treatment they receive at the source, packaging, speed of shipment and how the flowers are treated by the purchaser immediately upon receipt.

Word to the wise: As you visualize what these roses will look like on your big day, try not to vizualize roses at their peak degree of openness, or roses that are in varying degrees of opening up. Visualize buds that are beginning to unfurl.

'Vendela', like most florist varieties of roses, appears to have great substance but no fragrance.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Vendela' @ HMF

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

With florist roses you can have the exact same variety but there will be a big difference in quality.

Cut flowers are exactly like apples or peaches...it's a crop. Out of this weeks crop, the biggest most perfect fruits go to the stores that pay more and then sell for more. The stores that pay less and sell for a little less get the smaller ones with bruises here and there.

I remember living in Manhattan, where the florist roses were unreal, eyepopping--two or three times the size you see here...fully closed rosebuds the size of baseballs, all of them opening to absolute perfection--but at 10 or 20 times the price of what is available here!

The trick is finding the reasonable price on decent quality.

If it is desperately important to you, order a few from both suppliers right now far before your "big day" and compare the quality. Then you'll know.

Speaking as an old hardened veteran of marriage, the wedding is a few hours...the marriage the rest of your life...remember to keep the "big day" in proper perspective. :)