Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

Hybrid musk Kathleen

bart_2010
10 years ago

Does anyone out there know/grow the Hybrid Musk Kathleen? If so, can you tell me about it,and better yet, post a picture? How big does it get? I read somewhere that it has dark green leaves; is this so? When in the season does it bloom,how is the re-bloom? thanks in advance, bart

Comments (8)

• nickl
    10 years ago

Yes. Highly recommend if you have the right place for it.

This is one of the big, brawny hybrid musks. Not a delicate one like 'Ballerina', which we also have growing nearby

It grows VERY large - about 7' by 7'. Of course, it can be cut back, but one of the features of hybrid musks is their form and you lose that if you cut it back too much. Because it is so big and thorny, you do have to site it correctly.- best where it can be mostly left to show its natural form.

HMsks in general can take a lot of shade and this one is no exception. Ours is growing against a north wall and in dappled tree shade.

Leaves are a dark green. Blooms in flushes all season long if you deadhead rigorously. Biggest show is in the spring, of course, but plenty of blooms during the later flushes. Sets lots of relatively small hips - the birds generally clean them up.

We don't do much pruning at all - remove DDD in the spring, deadhead, keep it away from the electric meter, and that's about it

Downside - well protected with large, numerous thorns - you will need to wear gauntlets when you work around it,. Not disease resistant - does get black spot if you don't use a fungicide.

Right now, ours is between flushes so it's just a green bush with a lot of buds. I'll try to remember to post a picture of it during the next bloom flush

• michaelg
    10 years ago

The leaves are large, droopy, and tropical-looking. It makes a very attractive shrub.

The spring flush is massive and makes the bees very happy. Successive bloom for me was mostly large clusters at the ends of new basals and good-sized laterals. So good repeat bloom depends on strong growth continuing through the summer and fall.

It makes 7' basals and so can be a climber. However, the canes are stiff. Strong laterals grow out at odd low angles and are not easily redirected. It is self-supporting as a low-arching shrub, about 7-8' wide, as Nicki said. If you remove the strong laterals after blooming (for a more defined arching shape), it doesn't get tall.

A good rose, deserves to be more widely grown.

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

I'll add my voice to the chorus of approving comments. A beautiful rose similar in style to Pemberton hybrid musks like 'Pax' and 'Francesca', with arching growth and considerably wider than tall. In Italy it won't as a rule get black spot. Rebloom will depend on whether it gets summer water.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I didn't need to spray mine for years, but later a strain of blackspot came along that affected her. So she will be resistant in some gardens but not in others. The spots were oddly diffuse and spidery in appearance.

'Kathleen' suffered only slight tip damage at zero F and so should be cane-hardy through zone 6.

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ooh, thanks ,people! Am I right in thinking that the flowers are light pink? bart

• michaelg
    10 years ago

In sunlight, the face of the petals bleaches to pure white almost immediately. The reverse remains very light pink. Basically it is a white rose with conspicuous yellow stamens.

• nickl
    10 years ago

In our situation, the blooms are a blush pink with no noticeable fading to white.. The bush is not in full sun - maybe that accounts for it. The ARS classifies it as "light pink", which I would also consider accurate.

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

When I first became interested in roses, Kathleen was one that "tasteful" plant connoisseurs would chose if they had to grow only one rose.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!