Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

roses of John Scarman

bart_2010
10 years ago

You don't hear much about Scarman's roses ,but I am very interested in getting some of them; mainly some of his climbers that have the look of ramblers, but with rebloom. Some of the ones I'm looking at are: Pretty Flamingo, Pink Medallion, Mrs. Billy Crick, Kirsten Klein,Petra's Perpetual. But there's not much info available. Can anyone help? thanks, bart

Comments (6)

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

Below is a link to John Scarman's page on HMF.com. If you click on the tab "plants bred", there are 4 pages of links to his roses. My quick check thru them shows that they aren't readily available in the USA or have you found a source here? Looks like some interesting roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF link

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you,wirosarian! Unfortuneately the HMF page didn't work, but I'll try it again. regards, bart

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

Bart, the link I gave you was using one of the "paid member links" & if you aren't a paid member, maybe it won't let you access the info. Below is a link to a specific Scarman rose that anyone should be able to call up. Try opening it & you will see Scarman's name highlighted as a link, click on his name & you may be able to see the page I referenced above without being a paid member.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF page

• User
    10 years ago

He moved from the UK to Germany where he still runs a garden business teaching courses, breeding and selling roses. Landhaus Ettenbuhl - there are numerous vids on YouTube too. I agree, Bart, he has bred some lovely roses (in particular, some rather good repeat ramblers). Buying from Germany shouldn't be a problem for you, Bart. You might see if Bierkreek stock his roses also.

• bart_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm...it seems that the site for his nursery- Cottage Garden Roses-doesn't work, or at least not via HMF. I'll try using Google to get to it.
    Yes, indeed, the idea of his repeat-flowering ramblers is very exciting. I checked out the Landhaus Ettenbuhl site,which does have some pictures ,but alas! I don't read German,so can't understand the descriptions! I think I may go ahead and try contacting Mr. Scarman himself via the John Scarman's Welt der Rosen site.I see that Belle Epoque carries his roses, and will probably order through them, but there's not a whole lot of info provided. Some of them I can see I definitely would like to include in my garden: for example, Mrs. Billy Crick,Dancing Girl,Diggy's Rambler,Scarman's Himalayan Musk (these last two only once-flowering). But there are several pink climbers ,and more details would be very helpful in making a selection: a more precise idea of the exact shade of pink,flower size, habit, etc.The thing is, as my garden progresses, I'm getting more and more picky about these things, since I tend to want a rose for a particular situation,to be paired up with one that's already there, etc.It seems a bit rude to pick a man's brain too much about his own roses, but I may have to do that . What a shame I can't read German! regards, bart

• User
    10 years ago

Bart - you should be able to set the translation icon going - usually, there will be a little union jack to click on which will (amusingly) do a direct translation from the German. I seem to recall there was an icon somewhere near the top of the page on the right.......

Go ahead and pick brains - it is my observation that most gardeners, growers and breeders like nothing more than to expound, at length and detail, about every aspect of their passion. Being picky is an ideal way of channeling more pertinent information (I for one, rarely respond to vague requests for a 'pink climber' or such stuff but the minute things get specific....)

You might have already said (and I am sure it was nothing to do with Simpsons) where your name (Bart) came from........apols, if you did, for the useless memory (which gets daily worse) but still curious............

I take it that you already have Mr.Scarmans useful book? Another handy one is 'Wild and Old Garden Roses' by a Gordon Edwards.........