Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why do my rose leaves have holes?

Posted by pickindaisies 7 or 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 8:55

Hi! I have a knockout Rose bush I planted over a year ago and it's grown great! It's in part shade and does get some pine needles in the soil on top. This summer I noticed the plant's leaves have a lot of holes in them. At first I thought it was because our landscape lighting was "burning" them but then I realized it was the whole plant not just the part by the light. Anyone have a clue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why do my rose leaves have holes?

What kind of holes? Teenie, tiny ones, or circles & half circles about the diameter of a dime? If the latter, it is leaf cutter bees and not to worry. They don't hurt your rose, and it will stop in a while.

If some other kind, pls describe or post a picture.

Jackie

o

I will have to add a picture. They are teeny tiny holes. I think there is some whitish coloring around each hole on the leaf too. . . .

o

Sounds very much like rose slug larvae damage, to me.

Here are a couple of links to threads about rose slugs found by doing a search on this forum with some interesting information. There may be other threads on the Antique Rose Forum.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg1113121915397.html

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg042021559569.html

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0512455712090.html

Smiles,
Lyn

o

Okay, I uploaded the photo. Can someone give me their opinion on this? Soil has a lot of pine needles on top, gets part shade.

o

The smaller, white spots are from rose slugs (sawfly larvae, green worms) feeing on the underside of the leaves. You can wipe them off with your thumb. See the threads linked by roseblush1.

The large circular holes are from leaf-cutter bees, which do not need to be controlled. There is a thread about them currently on the front page.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here