Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants respond to sound

Posted by henry_kuska z5 OH (kuska@neo.rr.com) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 9:07

I once had a number of potted roses in my laboratory that I was going to subject to ionizing radiation. Before I got to the experiment, I used an ultrasonic cleaner on some glassware in the same room. All of the roses died.

See:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-07/uom-prt070114.php

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants respond to sound

I thought your topic was about playing music to increase growth.

I also wonder if roses respond to threats. Stand next to an underperforming bush with a shovel and say...shape up or else.

o

Fascinating, Henry. Thanks for posting this article.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 12:27

I think they've done experiments with music and plants before and found that they do respond to sounds. I do always talk to my roses, lol!

o

Steve, try it with a compost heap. Talk sweetly to the rose, saying something like, "See that compost heap over there? That's where diseased and unproductive plants to to live..." My dad used to love telling the story how his 1954 Ford Delux would run weirdly until he began admiring and talking about newer cars. He claimed that Ford would straighten up and run like a top each time! Couldn't hurt! Kim

o

I once played that striptease song for a rose and all its leaves fell off... ;-/

o

Then there's the Mythbuster episode where sound didn't matter.

o

"I once played that striptease song for a rose and all its leaves fell off... ;-/"
LOL Jim!

o

What could I play to my bindweed to kill it off...maybe some real "dark" stuff, like that group The Sisters of Mercy?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here