Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloradorosarianguy

Adding Calcium for my Roses

Hi folks, it has been a long while since I have stopped in. My old handle here was Colorado_Kid. Anyway, I have obtained some very soluble calcium for gardening use, it is the kind that does not raise the pH of the soils. I am wondering how much I can sprinkle around the base of each regular large rosebush and mini rosebush as a supplemental additive. Is a couple tablespoons too much? My current pH level is just a bit over 6.5. Let me know your thoughts please. Thanks!

Stan The Rose Man

Comments (6)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Do you know the brand and concentration?

I would first check and see if they have recommended rates

I would also check with your local ag supply and see what they say and if it is needed or needed a second agent for better uptake in your area soils

I would think the answer will vary depending on area soils

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Yes, no one can give advice without knowing the chemical name (maybe calcium __ate or calcium __ide). If calcium is needed, gypsum will dissolve gradually over time and is harmless in moderate quantities. But calcium deficiency is rare.

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

Hey Stan! I remember you--long time no see. Hope you & your roses are doing well.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    9 years ago

I'd echo michaelg's response. Why are you adding calcium ? " calcium deficiency is rare". Have you done a "good quality" soil test? There are too many gardening/rose growing tips out there telling people to "add this", "add that" without any thought as to why or using a good soil test. Many of these tips are useless or sometimes even bad for our soils & plants.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I know I cringe at some of the advice I read on forums. Some is based so much on "yesterday I did this and today I have this result and I googled it and found a study based on a different plant-condition-area and they agree" But what I have found is we tend to over think and over worry about plants, I know I do. They seem to do better if we look at the big picture and give them some time.

Things we did yesterday are highly unlikely to make any difference the next day (other than watering a dried out plant) I also worry that for some one reading some of that type of advice that it makes growing roses sound hard and challenging when that is really not the case most of the time.

Just my thoughts...off to the garden I go (and likely not to do anything other than enjoy my roses and not worry about what they are missing)

This post was edited by Kippy-the-Hippy on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 13:07

• ColoradoRosarianGuy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input folks. I also checked with our local soils testing lab. They said calcium is not usually a problem in our area. So I have 20 lbs. that I will either give away or use limitedly on the garden and yard areas until it is gone. That way it will not overload the soils causing any soils salts problems and be a bit beneficial.