Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowersrus222

just joey rose buds are red

sunflowersrus222
10 years ago

I bought a just joey rose from heirloom roses a few weeks ago and just noticed a couple of buds that are a deep red color. It's supposed to be an orange rose. Does anyone else have this rose and know if the roses will open up to an orange color? I guess I'll probably have to just wait and see what happens when they open but I'm curious to know if I may have gotten the wrong rose or if this rose starts as a dark red bud and opens up to orange.

If its going to be a red rose I will contact the company to let them know they sent me the wrong rose.

This is an own root rose by the way if that matters. So its not as if the graft died off and the parent plant is coming back. It should be the just joey and nothing else growing.

Any feedback on this rose would be appreciated.

Comments (13)

• rosetom
    10 years ago

I've had Just Joey for 10+ years and I can't recall the buds looking red - just a very dark orange. Red would be stretching it.

There's a very good pic on Help Me Find that includes JJ buds below -

Here is a link that might be useful: Good pic of JJ buds on Help Me Find

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you rosetom. I had seen that photo and thought mine looks nothing like that. The just joey is supposed to be a deep copper color. If I could get my cable to link with my laptop to download my photo I would post it. My buds are a deep dark red just like my red rose bushes buds. No copper color or orange tint to them at all and they are long and thin not nearly like the buds in any photos I've seen.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I've grown Just Joey for years, as well, and never had a red bud. Sometimes they will have a peachy pink tint, but usually they are apricot to caramel colored buds. The below pic is the peachy pink shade she sometimes has and it's about as dark a bud as I ever get from her.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Wait and see what happens. If the flower is red, contact Heirloom, send them a photo, and ask for a replacement.

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what I have growing on my just joey. Doesn't look anything like what it should but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

• bunnicula03
    10 years ago

Nope, definitely not Just Joey.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Oh no... That does not look like a Just Joey. If anything the color fades to a soft apricot; never red. Pat_bamaz7's photo is a perfect example of Just Joey.

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Desertgarden thats what I had thought too. As soon as I saw a red bud on my light orange ish rose bush I knew it had to be a mistake. As soon as it opens a bit I'll take a new photo and write to heirloom roses. I'm sure these plants are mixed up quite a bit. Without any buds on these little guys its an easy mistake. I was going for a certain color scheme on this part of my yard and the just joey would be perfect. I certainly have enough red roses. Don't hate them but have enough. Just going for something new.

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its starting to open up and is looking more pink than red now. Still no idea what it is. I just sent photos in an email to heirloom roses about it and hope they will have a just joey to sent me. Their web site says its in stock but not sure they will ship this time of year. If I have to wait till fall its not a problem. I would rather wait than have something die due to the heat from shipping.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

DonâÂÂt get me wrong, I love my Just Joey, but you keep mentioning orange. My JJ is rarely as orange as some of the HMF pictures show. Maybe itâÂÂs just our climate, but mine is usually either a pinky peach apricot or more often a caramel yellowish apricot. If you want a more orangey apricot, you might want to look at Bronze Star. ItâÂÂs new for me this year, but IâÂÂm loving it. A true orangey apricot that fades to a yellow apricot. An unusual shade and very fragrant. Here are a few pictures of Bronze Star.

{{gwi:302478}}

{{gwi:302479}}

{{gwi:302480}}

{{gwi:302481}}

{{gwi:302482}}

{{gwi:302483}}

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very pretty Pat. Its certainly is a beautiful rose. I am going for an orangish color scheme which is why I had ordered the just joey and the polka roses. So far the just joey is anything but! I just sent photos to heirloom roses to show them the mistake.

• Chaoticdreams
    10 years ago

Heirloom ships year round but they won't ship until the weather in your area is okay, so there may be a small delay if its way too hot. I have two roses that should be here Fri and two more I just ordered today that should ship next week. I've placed about 4 orders in total with them since the beginning of June. I haven't had to wait long for anything so far and everything has shown up in great condition. I hate that you had a mix up, but they should ship Joey pretty quick :)

• sunflowersrus222
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Solved the mystery of this rose. It is fragrant plum!! I emailed heirloom roses and they said it looks like the fragrant plum I ordered from them.

I tried to keep everything properly labeled but apparently failed. This does look like the fragrant plum although I thought it was more of a purplish blueish color. My bad! I thanked them for straightening it out for me. So much for trying to stay organized and not mix up my roses ha?

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company