Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with my bare root roses

Posted by kans none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 9:26

I am completely new to gardening. I have odered 21 rose bush , out of which 4 has already arrived and i planted them. Its really very confusing as each of the major rose sellers give different instructions. Add compost or not , water regularly or no watering untill spring, mound the canes.. I really don't know which to follow. I live in Melbourne, Australia..we have clay soil. No snow, temp doesn't get below 2 degree Celsius. No snow. Bit wet here. I have planted 4 with little compost added. Status of them are :
mr Lincoln: already had very few leaves , those leaves have grown
papa meilland : starting to leaf from red swelling it had.
perfume delight: no sign of anything
i planted them all last week.
our spring starts from September. suggestion pls
am i doing right?
any help much appreciated regarding watering and planting rest of my roses.we have clay soil but not very heavy.
Thankx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with my bare root roses

Soak them in buckets several hours or days before planting. Then soak them in with a lot of water, over 5 gallons, to settle the soil. Don't tamp clay soil or even step on it when it is wet. Then mound the plants or spray with an anti-transpirant to prevent dehydration. Remove any white shoots that are exposed above the mound, as they will not survive in the sun.

The initial watering with last for 2-3 weeks in winter. When new growth appears through the mound (about a month), reduce the mound with a flow of water from the hose, or very carefully remove it by hand--new shoots are very fragile.

Young plants will use 2-3 gallons of water per week in spring, or twice that when they are 3 feet wide in hot weather. You can fertilize very lightly once they are leafed out.

As to soil preparation, best practice is to prepare the bed uniformly rather than deep holes with special soil. I dig 12" deep with a few inches of manure or finished compost (compost in the US sense, not UK sense). Alkaline soil may need a pH adjustment. Maintain a mulch of organic material 2-3 inches deep at all times. This will improve the soil over the years. Take great care never to compact the soil when it is wet.

This post was edited by michaelg on Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 9:55

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here