Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

So many choices.....so little space!

boncrow66
9 years ago

I have been making my list of roses for next spring and I am getting slightly overwhelmed by all of the choices that there are to choose from. I will think I have my list set and think that's for sure what I want then I will be on the forum and see a rose that I haven't seen yet that one of the posters has posted of or talked about and then I start second guessing my list. My biggest problem is I want them ALL!! But alas I don't have the space at this time so I will have to stick with my list and have a seperate dream list for "One day" and live vicariously thru everyone's pics of their beautiful roses and gardens. :)

Comments (17)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Welcome, my name is seil and I am a rose-aholic.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, so are you, lol!

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your right Seil! I have been in denial and probably need a intervention but I don't think it would help at all lol. You know you are seriously addicted when you dream about roses and carry around a sketch of your garden in your purse so you can make notes of something new you think you want to add AND you show pics of your roses to your friends like they are your kids LOL.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a co-worker this morning, "we all need a guilty pleasure." Even though my roses don't make me feel a bit guilty! Being a rose-aholic doesn't harm me in any way that I can tell, and I feel so much better when I'm able to fulfill that need!

Boncrow, yes there are too many choices and it's never easy to decide which ones to try. I will say that being on this forum has helped me make those decisions and there are so many enablers on here.

• henry_kuska
    9 years ago

I have learned from repeated experience that planting a new rose exactly on top of a presently healthy growing rose is not a good idea.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree Sara-Ann, there are worse things than being addicted to roses for sure! This forum has been great for helping me decide on what roses I will be adding to my garden, everyone has such good advice and a wealth of knowledge. And yes there are many many enablers to help feed my addiction lol.
    Henry thanks for the tip, I had never heard that before I joined the forum so it's good to know so I won't make that mistake.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

This post made me laugh ! I agree there are just so many out there and how do you weed out perfectly good rose options just because of lack of space ?
    I feel grateful to live in tn . When I lived in Pa , I had to eliminate a lot of options due to hardiness . Now I can go crazy !
    Also does anyone else get some kind of weird joy out of agonizing over it ? I know I do . I love the research part and driving to a zillion nurseries and falling in love with a rose you can't get your hands on . :)

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know exactly what you mean Lilyfinch, it is sweet agony lol. I love to research and learn about each rose I am considering but then you will hear about a rose you have never heard of on this forum and of course I have to google that rose to see what I'm missing lol. It's nevr end it but I always manage to finally choose and am always happy with my choice. At least so far lol. Btw lillyfinch I posted a pic of my pinkies for you on your potted roses post.

This post was edited by boncrow66 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 14:29

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Oh, yes, lilyfinch! The hunt is a big part of the fun!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Thanks boncrow for the picture of your climbing pinkie! It looks like it'll cover your deck rail in no time! I am looking forward to seeing pics in bloom!
    I have one arbor I was planning on using the pinkies for. I feel like its such an important focal point I'm afraid of choosing the wrong rose. Torture! As if better homes and gardens are going to come and do a spread on my yard! Lol :)

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL! I know what you mean, I fretted for along time over that climber to put on the arbor and finally decided on the pinkie because it seemed to meet all of my needs and is supposed to bloom constantly once established. I am very happy with my choice so far. I am hoping to pillar them all the way to the top and have masses of pink blooms, my arbor can b seen from the road so I want it to beautiful and who know maybe Better Homes and garden may drive by one day and take a pic, hahahahaha.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

boncrow I agree! I keep seeing roses online and then I immediately feel like i need to add it to the wishlist. Carefree Beauty is a great example of a rose I discovered on here and just had to have!

I am only in my second year of gardening and I just don't know where I'm going to be planting roses for the next... 50 years? HA! I found two more spots this week that are perfect for roses and planted one today.... I guess getting creative is part of the process :P

Good luck! Hope you can narrow it down or get creative and squeeze a few more in.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's kinda like when my daughter was a senior in high school and had senior pictures taken for graduation, the photographer took over 150 picture and emailed me the proofs and told me to pick 10 pictures....I was like, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Lol, after much debate and many hours we narrowed it down to the 10 most perfect pics of my practically perfectly beautiful daughter. That's how I feel about trying to pick the roses that will go in my yard and garden. The process may not be the same but I somehow manage to pick the roses I feel that are right for me. Whew!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Boncrow - I can relate about the senior pictures, I'm sure all moms can. With roses, while I don't always get it right, I think us rose lovers have a sense of which ones will be right for us. Of course it helps to have the knowledge on which ones are the better roses for our particular area too.

• bayourose
    9 years ago

Big sigh of relief!!!!!! I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me, but this thread has made me realize that I am not alone with my rose craziness! I am a novice with rose growing and just happened upon this website and just love it. I am now happy to admit that I am a rose addict and have found the perfect place to feed my addiction. Love all the beautiful pictures of your roses and gardens. One day I will figure out how to post pictures, too! Thanks for all the eye candy!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I was thinking of buying a box of grading stakes and labeling with the rose that I want for a spot and pounding them in place. Just so I could remember to stay on track. I have a fairly big space,but the roses I like the best are even bigger, and I am trying to place them around fruit trees that picking fruit among thorns will be an issue.....but just for a week or so each year right :)

• KnoxRose -7a
    9 years ago

After reading this thread I am relieved that I am not alone in my constant struggle (which I am losing) to choose from a seemingly endless pile of beautiful roses. I am only one year in and I already have a wishlist a mile long, as well as a growing list of roses I have already planted that will be getting moved to the back yard this fall to make room for more of my recently realized favorites. It seems like I have a new favorite every week! I may have also gotten a little overzealous & ordered a few things that may not have a planned home yet, so it looks like some large pots are in my immediate future. I still have not accepted the reality that I will eventually have to remove a healthy rose from my garden just because I don't like the way it looks, my inner hoarder says "surely there is somewhere it can go"... And my outer reasonable person says "uummmmm... I don't know about that" ... They'll sort it out eventually!

Jessica

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can't bring myself to shovel prune a healthy plant either Jessica, I usually just find another spot in the yard or give it away. I guess that's why I obscess over what roses to buy because one they are planted that's going to be their home lol. I just enjoy the whole process, researching new roses, making a list and adding to it, an everything in between. But my favorite part is seeing my roses grow and bloom, satisfaction guarenteed!
    Kippy putting stakes down where potential new roses can go is a good idea! I am going to try that, it will help me visual where things can go and how it might look.