Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growth no blossoms

Posted by welltraveled z5Mid Mich (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 9:57

I have over 5 feet new growth on my pink Eden rose,but no buds appearing, This rose had die back from winter kill to about 6 inches from the ground.
What is happening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growth no blossoms

Do you have pictures of where the canes are growing from? Could the growth be from below the graft? (Aka the rootstock survived)

o

I had the exact same thing with my beloved alchymist. Cut way back in April and so far great green growth but only one or two anemia looking blossoms.
Mine is not rootstock . ????

o

I've had no blooms from the primary canes in many of my established climbers this year that needed pruning to the ground - Eden, Madame Alfred Carriere, and Madame Isaac Periere to name a few. I think these climbers need to rebuild their main cane structure after a particularly hard winter like this, particularly if they mostly bloom on old wood. Since in my yard there wasn't any old wood left, they're starting the process again to support blooms next year. The same probably applies to Alchymist, Susan, particularly since it's an early once-bloomer for the most part. It wants some existing cane to build blooms from.

I'd give Eden the benefit of the doubt this year if you cut it back that far, unless as Kippy says you're getting growth from below the lumpy part where the rose is grafted onto the rootstock. Just keep pulling the canes horizontal so that it can send up laterals ready to start blooming next year.

Cynthia

o

Thanks, nippstress. I kind of thought I should have cut back more but I was so happy to see some signs of life.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 17:41

What Nippstress said. Their rebuilding after taking a hard hit. Be patient and let them recover.

o

Thank you so much. Susan,Nippstress and Seil.Makes me feel there is hope ..The growth is above the rootstock,

It does have a New Dawn growing next to on a tutuer it is doing the same thing lots of growth no buds.

o

And also remember that Eden is not the most eager and profuse bloomer on the planet. She's often reluctant to bloom very much even in a good year, though she usually does fine for the spring bloom.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here