Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mzstitch

Do you own a Fair Bianca rose?

mzstitch
11 years ago

Considering buying this rose for a container rose on my back deck. I have a few questions I would like to ask someone who has one. First, most sites I have read state it will get to 3 ft, but the Roses Unlimited site, (where I will eventually buy it from), states to 5. Wondering if this is just a mistake. How large does yours get? Secondly, other messages state it is a cool weather rose, will it withstand the heat of South Carolina? Would you recommend this as a good container rose? Thank you to any that can help me!

Comments (19)

• buford
    11 years ago

I have it in NE Georgia. It does fine in the heat. Mine is about 3 feet but sometimes puts up a long candelabra. But it's usually mannerly. I think it would be good in a large container.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Here it stays about 3'. Here it is not at all a vigorous cultivar, so TLC is required and it would be fine in a container. I wonder how it would do on Fortuniana root stock, if it would be any better.

Lovely flowers, strong myrrh fragrance. If FB doesn't work out, 'Bolero 2004' aka 'Bolero' is a good alternative. Sweet citrus/old rose fragrance, the plant is also on the small side.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Bolero 2004'

• mzstitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bolero is certainly a beauty. What attracts me to the Bianca is the rose colored bud next to a white flower. If it is good in Georgia, it's worth a try. If it needs tlc it certainly will get it from me in a container, so thank you. I'm going to put it on my order.

• suncitylinda
    11 years ago

I have planted it at two different homes I have lived in during the past ten years and found it to be vigorous. No noticiable problems with heat. Maybe got to 4 feet but not any taller. Love that rose, need some for the house I am in now. Where are you ordering it from?

• mzstitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you suncitylinda. I plan to order it here in S.C. from Roses Unlimited. They have started to take orders for next year, so I'll place my order and then go pick them up in the spring.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Yes it does have that red bud then a white flower. It is a charming rose, mine just never does much more than two or three flowers per year.

• suncitylinda
    11 years ago

Guess I have been really fortunate. I have had a total of three plants and all threw up multiple blooms. often 8 or ten on from the same stem. Fabulous fragrance!

• stlgal
    11 years ago

FB is the wimpiest rose in my garden (of perhaps 60-70 roses). Maybe a foot tall and sparse of bloom. When I need the space it will be meeting the shovel. Sounds like it fares better in warmer climes, since it lacks vigor.

• kitty
    11 years ago

My Fair Bianca was a 2-1/2 ft wimp with few blooms until my hubby budded her onto Fortuniana rootstock. She now grows 3-1/2 ft tall and is continuously loaded with blooms. After growing Fair Bianca for many years, I can't imagine her ever getting to 5 ft high.

• clax66
    11 years ago

Hello,
    Is it too late to chime in? I bought 3 Fair Bianca for my small front yard urban garden. She is only supposed to grow to 3 ft tall. I'm in Toronto (zone 6B CDN) and she is holding up very well to the extreme 40degrees C heat we have been experiencing. She is a beauty:)

• mzstitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The beauty of this site is it is never too late to chime in! Thanks clax66, I'm going to order one this fall for next year. I'm nowhere near your zone, and with mixed reviews it's going to be a chance, but I just love the rose.

• bedabullet
    11 years ago

Just planted 20 Fair Bianca Roses (Bare Root) for a shrub..with an Ebb Tide on each end to add a little color. I can not wait to post pictures as they grow....

I feel like a "New Daddy"

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

She's so sweet. Just don't try to use the pruners. Mine hates that. Often the canes will start dying. Now I snap off the old flowers with my fingers and don't do any more. She wants perfect soil. She wants plenty of water. She wants a nice morning sun spot. She hates to be dug up and moved. When she throws a long branch out into the walk, I push in a sturdy piece of bamboo and tie it out of the way to avoid using the pruners on her. Sometimes canes just die anyway but she is slowly building herself up every year. This rose is so pretty. I would love to try it on Fort.

• Molineux
    11 years ago

She is a pretty thing but not for those who will neglect her. This rose needs to be grafted onto to a vigorous rootstock and given TLC like Kitty describes. That means spraying, watering and fertilizing, while keeping the pruners away from her canes. You do that and she'll reward your care with some of the most stunning - and I do mean STUNNING - white roses that you'll ever see. The Old Garden Rose flower form is absolutely perfect; crimson streaked buds opening to glistening white pincushions quartering around a chartreuse button eye. Makes an excellent cut flower too. I have a little antique silver vase that I only use for her flowers. THAT is how beautiful she is, which makes it worth putting up with her runty bush. In my garden Fair Bianca has never topped three feet so she should do just fine as a container rose. BUY HER!

Image of Fair Bianca by xeney at Hortiplex

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Wouldn't she be pretty as a standard? My camera can't capture the white roses well. When you see the flowers up close, they are so beautiful. Just now, my Bianca made a big new cane growing at an odd angle and a little one is dying off from the top. Glad to trade a thin old cane for a fat new one even if it is in an inconvenient direction.

• mzstitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This was my original post from this summer that was brought up to the top again. When it came time to place my order, I changed my mind and went with Bolero to play it a bit safer. Now you are making me regret my decision!!!

• Molineux
    10 years ago

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fragrance. FAIR BIANCA's blooms possess a very strong and unique fragrance. David Austin describes it as myrrh, but to me it smells oddly like Noxzema face cream with a subtle vanilla note. I know it sounds odd but the unusual perfume fits the pristine whiteness of the blooms perfectly.

You know folks the more years I spend with this rose the more I'm coming to realize just how much I like it. Yes she lacks the presence of the larger cultivars but there is place in the garden for petite roses too. The medium sized flowers are large in proportion to small upright plant, which in their own way draw the eye down to the plant.

Provided you can get her grafted and are willing to spray and fertilize then Fair Bianca performs admirably.

• wildrnesxperienc
    8 years ago

Super old thread, sorry. I had fair Bianca in a pot for a few years, and it bloomed profusely, but I wasn't in love with it because it was so droopy. The canes would get so long and were so weak that all the flowers would make them droop down past the edge of the pot towards the ground. I ended up giving it away when we moved.