Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Roses in fall or spring?

Posted by particentral Zone 8, GA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 30, 09 at 10:08

Greetings! I am new here and my search for this information led me here. I have 30 plus roses, mostly hybrid teas, and many in planters. They have all done remarkably well this year and are huge, with large, colorful and fragrant blooms. HOWEVER I have one grafted rose from last year that has become a cause of consternation for me. It never died last year, so it didn't get pruned back. Now I have spindly thin, weak canes with small blooms, even though they are prolific.

My feeling is that since we don;t get cold here they don't actually die off and they NEVER go dormant. What do i do about them and when is the best time to cut them back without hurting them.

My best Teas are in planters along my walkway at my grooming shop and are the source of many compliments and lots of enjoyment, but I fear that if I cannot figure out how and when to prune them back next year they will suffer.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Roses in fall or spring?

Pruning promotes new growth so prune when you want new growth which is spring. Should you get a bitter cold snap after you pruned in the fall, any new growth would be killed. Likewise in spring but it's less likely to happen.
As you can see not pruning is not good. Modern roses do better with man's interference.

o

OK, so is it too late to do it this year or should I just live with the rose looking awful until next year? I am deheading twice a week and ALL of my guys are gorgeous but for this one. OH and the ones I just bought on clearance at Kmart. Some absolutely gorgeous shrub types to place at the foundation of my shop. Those look great, but the teas....well, lets just say they need help.

o

Here in Georgia, we prune in the spring. In southeast Georgia, we prune on or about Valentine's Day.

o

I agree with Karl. Do most of your pruning in the spring. You can probably prune off some thin weak growth now, being in zone 8.

Hey, have you checked out the vids from Ashdown Roses by Paul Z? They are so great and maybe can help you out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ashdown Roses Vids

o

You can prune that rose now as there's still time for it to recover before any damaging cold weather occurs this fall or winter.

o

thanks Karl. That was the information I was trying to figure out. I will get it done in the morning. We planted 8 shrub roses this afternoon and pruned all of them to a degree and it is HOT so I am going to wait until in the morning to attack the Grafted one.

It is funny to me that the shrubs I just bought for less than $5 each look better then the Knockouts the landscaper put in earlier this year....at a much higher cost to me I might add. I am headed back to our local Kmart for 4 more to finish edging my parking lot at work. MUCH better than paying the landscaper.

I used to grow Dahlias in MA but I had no luck with them here in GA and switched to Roses which I could not grow in MA. I am learning and they are looking good (except that one).

The video links were really great as well. Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here