Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanne27

Roses for Cutting

Susanne27
10 years ago

I'm looking to add to my rose collection, roses in the ht and grandiflora class that are especially excellent for cutting and are long lasting in a vase. Colour and fragrance are not an issue. Any suggestions on specific roses?

Thanks,
Sue

Comments (10)

• nickl
    10 years ago

So many ... too many.

Do you have a color preference - that would narrow things down a bit.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

My favorite is 'Valencia.' Huge, fragrant, long-stemmed, and long-lasting, with interesting color. My longest-lasting cut flower is 'Mother of Pearl.' 'Olympiad' is long-lasting, but I got rid of it long ago.

• leezen4u
    10 years ago

Longest lasting in the vase:
    Ingrid Bergman (HT, rich red)
    Gemini (HT, creme + pink/coral)

Long lasting and the best fragrance:
    New Zealand (HT, light pink)
    Secret (HT, creme + porcelain pink)
    Mr. Lincoln (HT, red)
    Double Delight (HT, creme + red)
    Pope John Paul II (HT, white)
    William Shakespeare 2000 ((David Austin English shrub, crimson red)
    Princess Alexandra of Kent (David Austin English shrub, light pink)

Lasts a few days less but the flowers are beautiful and the fragrance is excellent:
    Jubilee Celebration (David Austin English shrub, pink + orange)
    Gertrude Jekyll (David Austin English shrub, mauvish pink)
    Munstead Wood (David Austin English shrub, dark red)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

I like to grow for cutting, too. Here's some of my long, lasting favorites:

Black Magic
    Pope John Paul II
    St. Patrick
    Veteran's Honor
    Red Intuition
    Randy Scott (thrips really like)
    Sweetness
    Voluptuous
    Louise Estes
    Hot Princess

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Veterans' Honor last for AGES. Crimson Bouquet is good too. Dick Clark is also pretty good. For a longer lasting bloom look for ones that have thicker and a little fewer petals and for some reason the brighter or darker colors. I've found that for cutting they seem to last longer. The very pale thin petaled or very fully petaled ones don't seem to do as well.

• Susanne27
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the input. I'm making a list.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

I do not grow many roses but one particular rose stands out as long lasting cut flower for me is Grand Amore.

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

I love my fragrant plum. One week so far in a vase and still has not dropped any petals. It has a wonderful fragrance. Color starts with a deep lavender-ish color going to a plum purple towards the edges. The center has a lighter tone of these hues. I'll have to take a new photo of it and post what it looks like at one week + after clipping. At one week it still is not completely opened. Check out the link I've provided to see a photo and info. I have to add that it is very disease resistant and with all of the rain we've had the last 2 months it has no signs of mold or disease.

Here is a link that might be useful: fragrant plum

This post was edited by sunflowersrus222 on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 8:33

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

The ones I like to cut for a vace full are; Louise Estes, Moonstone, Crystalline, Let Freedom Ring, Brinessa, Dark Night.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I enjoy bouquets all season, and my favorites are Frederic Mistral, Evelyn, and Ascot. It looks like Munstead Wood may be a cutting winner, too. Caramel Antique lasts forever but can be a stingy bloomer. Here's Fred and his friend Jude the Obscure (not a good cutting rose for me). Diane