Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose growing weirdly

Posted by gioia14 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 10:13

I have a rose in my garden with a very very long stem and the roses start growing from about 6ft but I have beautiful roses from it I was wondering if I cut it right down to the bottom of the stem it would grow again? Any help please x

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose growing weirdly

Could you get a shot showing the base of the plant up to 5 or 6 feet?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 12:32

My fear would be that you'd kill it altogether. I tried this once with a climber that only had a couple of canes at the base and all the growth at the top and it died off on me.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 14:28

Looks like 'Dr. Huey'.

o

what hoovb said!

o

I guess I'm not sure I understand what you would like to do, Gioia. Do you mean that you are hoping that by cutting it all off, it will re-grow and bloom at the bottom? That's not likely - at least the way you have it attached at present. You have great blooming going on in the upper part because it is *horizontal*. Vertical canes do nothing but produce a bloom at the very tip top (it's called apical dominance.) By training the cane horizontally, you produce "laterals" or those shorter branches coming off the main cane - and those are where the abundance of blooms come from. Dr. Huey or not (which is a vigorous once-bloomer often used as a rootstock and is usually hardier and longer-lived than the variety it once had grafted onto it) if you like it, try to bring the cane down and across more, rather than straight up like an arrow.

o

Another opinion. Had huge John Davis on trellis, large canes almost entirely girdled by rabbits over last winter. Had two long unsightly limbs left on one side. Not what I wanted. Gritted my teeth, cut back all canes, including thick requiring a saw, to about 18" high. As sprouts appeared,and strengthened, I tied to trellis growing upright. Goes against conventional advice but both of my trellises grow this way. JD was shocked, i tried not to expect too much but he has come back with a vengeance. I say decide it may kill your rose, i don't know yours will respond like mine and then again it may amaze you. Will post pic tomorrow if you'd like. Dark now.

o

Found pics previously taken. Cane on right was 1 inch plus when sawed off below girdling damage. you can see the new growth out both sides.

o

I tie vertically here. I would saw your rose off at about 18" and hope for the best. Do you have that rose in sun,? looks shady...Protect your fresh cut, and feed. Your rose looks strong enough to do it. Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here