Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (8)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

"As soon as you see the rose starting to wilt and die, cut out the diseased sections."

!!!

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

Dude didn't have a clue that that rose, that he held up, had had RRD for several years. There were a number of witches brooms in the twiggier parts.

That dead cane comes at year four or five. (And the leaves aren't wilted, per se, they are skinny and somewhat chlorotic and might look as if they have the beginnings of PM.)

To say "As soon as" would be funny if it weren't tied to not noticing aberrant growth several years before.

I think the video is from Little Rock, Arkansas rather than Atlanta ( but I understand everything south of the Mason Dixon Line is easily confused for some folks.)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Reminds me of. . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Sports with Big Al

• henry_kuska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have already deleated the original e-mail message that I received alerting me to this video so I cannot explain how I came up with Atlanta. Maybe it was simple heat strock.

• buford
    10 years ago

Probably the 'Atlanta Ferris Wheel' on the bottom of the screen.

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

Kind of off topic: if you collect hips from an infected rose, will the offspring also be infected? I am going to collect hips this fall but I don't want to cultivate seedlings with the virus. Any ideas?

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

Rene,
    Dr. Jim Amrine collected several hundred fertile hips from multiflora which had RRD on part of the bush; none of the seedlings showed symptoms of RRD.
    A more massive study was done on corn, which has a similar virus; About ten thousand (IIRC) seeds were grown out an one had a problem and one maybe had a problem. But with that large a population, the maintenance of total isolation was not proveable.

The problem with negatives is they can't be proved.

Most roses that have the virus don't set hips on virused canes because very, very often the sexual parts of the rose are distorted or lacking.

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

Ann,
    Thank you very much! I shall press on. Those you posted about are reacting very similarly to genetic disorders, generally. Whereas many are unable to reproduce and continue the disorder. I now wonder why sometimes it is called a virus and others, a disease. I believe I will research a bit to reduce my own ignorance. Thank you for sharing your information with me.