Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon2079

recomendation for a rose

sharon2079
9 years ago

I have several different roses and would like to purchase more. I have several different kinds, but the two that I like the smell the best is Quieteness from Buck and a Sharifa Asma rose from Austin. Both of these seem to smell similar to me and I really like it. Are there any other roses that have this type of smell.?

And can anyone tell me if this is consider a myrh, a tea, or old rose. I am just getting started I have 12 plants and really am not sure. In fact, I do not know if the two above are suppose to even smell similar, or if it is just me. I didn't know until watching this form that certain people couldn't smell certain things. I just thought it was me. I gusess that is why I want to know what other roses smell like these, because I have started doing mail order. I purchase a Duchesse de Brabant and a Cecile Brunner. I cannot detect any fragrance from either, which makes me very sad. Maybe my plants are too young. However, they are the same age as the other forementioned roses. Most of my other roses are from Home Depot or Sams. And sadly I never paid much attention to the names before. But now I am really wanting to increase my garden. I have seen on this fourm a lot of recomendation on roses that have great fragrance, but now I am kind of concerned that I might not be able to smell some of the other suggestions.... and am wondering if there is a type of roses that is easier to smell such as the tea, or myrh, or whatever the type is.

I don't care so much about the color. I would like to be able to cut a few and bring them into the house where I can see them and hopefully smell them.

I live in Florida, in Zone 10.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (7)

• cecily
    9 years ago

Fragrance depends on a lot of factors including weather and your nose. Personally, I can't smell most roses (including those described in catalogs as 'highly fragrant'). That's just me. Two roses that I can smell (which therefore shall be described as 'excessively fragrant') are Souv de la Malmaison and Frederic Mistral. Fred would need to be treated for BS in Florida.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

YOU SAID: " . . . wondering if there is a type of roses that is easier to smell such as the tea, or myrh, or whatever the type is. "

*** "Myrrh" isn't a type of rose. It's a type of FRAGRANCE. Some roses have a scent often called "myrrh," which to me smells rather line anise, or licorice. Some like it (I do) and others loathe it.

There's a wide range of fragrances in roses.

Personally, I can't smell most Tea Roses, and only a few China Roses. But as Cecily notes -- rose fragrances (and the ability to detect them) varies from nose to nose, and is further affected by environmental conditions.

"Tea" IS a type of rose. The link below will take you to an article on the various types (or families) of roses.

It is my understanding that China Roses and Tea Roses (both "Old Garden Roses") do well in Florida.

But Florida soils have specific problems. You might do best to connect with others who garden in Florida, and can help you select the best roses for your situation.

Jeri in Coastal Southern California

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on types of roses

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I have the same problem with rose smells but found that I can smell Souvenir da la malmaisson, Don Juan and my heritage which is a Austin, but my other 2 Austin's I can vaguely smell. I agree with Jeri and find out what grows best in your zone. It also would be helpful if you could find a local nursery or a public garden that grows roses you visit and smell the roses before you buy them. Also contacting your local rose society might be helpful too. I know how disappointing it is to be looking forward to smelling a rose that everyone raves about and then can't smell it. Good luck in your search and hope you find something you can smell.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

Being in Fl., check with some local nurseries to see if they carry Nelsons Roses. It might be easier to go to Nelsons web site and check to see if any of you're local nurseries are on their delivery list. I know they carry Abrahan Darby, an Austin rose that does extremely well in Fl. (on fortuiana root stock). They carry several others that have a great scent to them and are good for cut roses to bring inside.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

You might like the speech that Tom Carruth made on breeding for fragrance. He talks about different types of fragrance starting at 14:14. I found it interesting because he talks about the rose colors usually indentified with the scent.

I smelled the rose "Jardin de Bagatelle" in my friend's garden yesterday. I don't know what category it falls into, but it smelled very fresh and wonderful. I couldn't get enough of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Carruth-Breeding for Fragrance

• sharon2079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your suggestions.
    Also I wanted to say I found the Tom Carrruth breeding for Fragrance very interesting. Thank you for posting a link

Sharon

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Jasminerose, double thanks for the great link to Tom Carruth's presentation & the reminder of Jardins de Bagatelle! Delicious in every way, grew it in the late 80's in a colder more exposed garden where it succumbed to cold. Thinking this garden would be more hospitable, would happily welcome it and again inhale that heavenly perfume.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jardins de Bagatelle