Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thahalibut

Safe to buy from the heirloom sale?

thahalibut
10 years ago

I saw the post on the heirloom sale so I went over to check it out. The roses on sale are sold as is & have no guarantee. Do they send nice plants during the sale or do they send runts? What if they send the wrong rose..?
I dont want to spend $$ & get a half dead rose & have them say, too bad it was an as is sale......
Any thoughts?

Comments (8)

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

Heirloom has a guarantee on their roses that I know of. I buy from them and have never had a problem. My roses were what I ordered and have no sign of disease. They arrived packed really well and in great condition. As soon as you get them you unpack them and water them really well. Sit them in a shaded area for a few days till they get over the shock of shipping and the heat. Heirloom will ship according to your area and the temps. I've never bought from them during a sale so don't know that they would ship anything ratty looking or in bad condition. I some how doubt they would. I wish I had the money to place an order because believe me if I could I would buy several and not worry about it.

edited to say that I just looked at their web site and read their info on the sale. I see they don't offer the guarantee on these sale roses nor will they supply replacements. That being said I would still order from them. At those prices you can't go wrong.

This post was edited by sunflowersrus222 on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 10:51

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Heirloom bands were some of the first roses I bought online. I got them in April and all of them have grown and bloomed, even James Galway.
    They do take a little special care and I have started all mine in pots until they put on a really good root system.
    The ones from the sale (I ordered 6) should be a little bigger than the early spring bands because they are a tad older.
    They pack them really well as stated above, and they're worth what they're asking for them. They will be quite small, but they're quality plants.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I got sale ones one year, and they all died. Just my personal experience, yours may be far better.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

FWIW, Heirloom changed ownership early this year -- so there may have been some changes.

OTOH, I understand that they retained much of the staff.

Jeri

• reemcook
    10 years ago

I have not ordered roses from Heirloom. There are a few roses I really want to purchase from their sale. However, after reading reviews on Heirloom, I am on the fence.

I feel gun shy about ordering from Heirloom only to receive DOA roses.

Reem

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

Heirloom is one of my alltime favorite vendors. I've been buying roses from them for over 20 years. Never had one of their plants die on me or do poorly. If I'd had problems with their plants, I wouldn't have remained a repeat customer!

Have also bought in their 50% off sale the last 2 years. And yes these bargain plants don't come with the usual guarantee, but it hasn't mattered. They were just as robust and healthy as all my other orders. In fact in July of 2011 I bought a Stanwell Perpetual to replace one that came from Rogue Valley in early 2011 that was a miserably unhealthy thing. Now in July of 2013 the "as is" Stanwell Perpetual from Heirloom is 5 + feet tall, has lovely clean foliage, and blooms beautifully (repeats!!) whereas the plant from Rogue Valley is not even 1 foot tall, looks as if it is covered in plague, and I can't remember the last time it had even a bud.

Of all my roses, my favorite is the alba Felicite Parmentier that I got from Heirloom in the early 1990s. She's gorgeous, has fantastic fragrance, has beautifully healthy foliage, and is also as tough as nails and needs very little care. The other added bonus from Heirloom is they virus index their roses for rose mosaic virus. Over the years I've gotten virused plants from a variety of vendors--these roses invariably show spectacular mosaic patterns in the leaves, don't ever perform well, and often die young. This has never happened with a rose I've purchased from Heirloom. I support their philosophy 100% on rose mosaic virus, and I also support their courage in continuing to do so in spite of criticism which, as best I can figure, seems to be advocating them to stay silent about the topic.

Melissa

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Wow, Tessiess...

It's funny you say that because I am a rank amateur and I haven't killed anything I've gotten from Heirloom... Even spiteful Leonidas is hanging on. All the others but him have absolutely flourished. That should be proof enough that what you say is true...if I haven't killed them, they're quality plants.
    I got two bands from RVR, a Francis Dubrueil and a Souvenir du Dr Jamain...they are so spindly I feel like it will be years before I enjoy them, if I can keep them alive.
    Mine don't look diseased and they're about 3 times the height of my tallest Heirloom when I got it, but they're so...I don't know.
    I sure hope they turn out ok...

• thahalibut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The only time I can recall any business not offering their normal guarantee during a sale is, well never (although I am sure some businesses do this). I have heard of places selling items as/is when they go out of business but not in a regular sale. To me it just doesnt seem right to remove your guarantee during a "normal" sale. I am passing on this sale.