Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Good roses to espalier?

peachymomo
13 years ago

Both Buff Beauty and Bishop Darlington are supposed to grow up to 8' wide, what if I espalier them against a wall? I would like to encourage them to grow up and stay pretty close to the wall. Will they tolerate that? If not, are there roses that would?

I've also ordered an Abraham Darby which it says can be grown as a shrub or small climber, would it be good to espalier?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• jacqueline9CA
    13 years ago

I grow the tea rose "Anna Olivier" between the South wall of our house and our driveway, which is about 18 inches away. It is not formally espaliered, but we do cut off or tie down any parts that try to stick out more than 15-18", because they would be hit by vehicles. It has been there for over 10 years, has gotten about 7 feet wide and 10 feet high. It blooms in frequent waves all Spring and summer, up to about Dec. It blooms from the very bottom to the top.

It may be that other tea roses would also do well in this sort of situation. We have another Anna Olivier which is allowed to do anything it wants to, and it is about 9 feet high and over 12 feet wide and 12 feet deep, so it is not naturally a small or narrow rose. Good luck!

Jackie

• landperson
    13 years ago

I think you might find that Bishop Darlington's canes are a bit rigid for training as an espalier. At least the one I have is very stiff and very upright. Buff Beauty on the other hand, has very lax canes and probably would be easier to train on a horizontal.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

I would try 'Buff Beauty'. I think you could have success with that. Just make sure you are wearing heavy gloves and safety goggles when working with the canes.

And if everyone could use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to report "phebee" as a spammer, that would be helpful. :)

• kathy9norcal
    13 years ago

I think Buff Beauty would be great as its canes are thin and pliable and easily trained.
    I did grow Abe Darby on a trellis and it too was easily trained. It was a rust magnet and I had to get rid of it for that reason. I wish you luck with your espaliers.

• landperson
    13 years ago

Someone previously mentioned a good Tea and I have to agree that my Climbing Lady Hillington does beautifully on the north side of a patio. She is not formally espaliered, but I can see that had I done the work she would have cooperated very nicely. She blooms constantly, has a wonderful scent, and doesn't seem to get any nasty diseases here in this climate.....even in one of the shadiest parts of my property....a North West inside corner....

Susan

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input! I have admired Lady Hillington before, I might have to get one next spring. I did get an Abraham Darby band and he is growing steadily. I also ordered a Danae band. My fragrant cream-yellow-apricot rose collection is getting larger by the year... :o)

• User
    13 years ago

Hi peachy, have a look at some of the wichurana hybrid ramblers such as Leontine Gervaise, Alberic Barbier,Albertine and Alexandre Girault - they have flexible canes and can sustain a nice 2D shape against a wall. I often find climbers, while they sometimes lack the flexibility of many ramblers, are often easier to espalier and happy to remain fairly flat. I think you should maybe take a look at some of the teas, especially Lady H, and, if your soil is not overly dry, a bourbon such as Zephirine Drouhin or Coupe d'Hebe may well work well - I have found that they are amenable to strict pruning into a permanent framework but have the vigour to through out productive flexible canes for the following year and take a summer pruning which keeps a good shape and also encourages good rebloom.

• landperson
    13 years ago

Danae is very pretty. Mine has struggled a bit due to a variety of stresses that I have put on her -- a bit too much shade, possibly a dose of Roundup a few years back, and then an onslaught of gophers.....Sheesh. Still, I think her general nature besides being beautiful is to be quite stiff and twiggy -- maybe not the best candidate for espalier....

But those soft creamy yellow buds....are to die for....

Susan

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Anyone wanting a white to espalier will love White Dawn. You would never guess it's related to New Dawn.
    Pliable canes and lovely gardenia-looking flowers.