Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Black spot in Canada

While this is mainly aimed at Canadians I don't mind if others chime in. My question is if you spray for black spot what product(s) do you use. We just don't have access to the same products as our friends down south have.

The nursery owner gave me a sample of 'Serenade' which is supposedly a bacteria that fights bacteria. I guess along the lines of using milk for powdery mildew.

I haven't decided on what route I am going but curious anyways.

Thanks

SCG

Comments (3)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I have used Serenade and Green Cure. They both work better if you start early before you see symptoms and maintain a very regular spray program. They're better preventives than cures.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I was wondering about that.

We have limited choices up here. Either copper or sulphur based or serenade.

I appreciate your time.

SCG

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

I don't spray. There was a time I would use diluted sulphur, but I haven't bothered with that in 5 years or more.

There are simply too many good rose choices now that are exceptionally resistant to diseases. If any rose in my garden shows a recurring susceptibility to a specific disease, it now ends up being shovel pruned and replaced with a variety that doesn't.

Life is simply too short to grow bad roses.